New to working out. Wanting to build muscle

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Hellzbellz
STARTING OUT

New to working out. Wanting to build muscle

Post by Hellzbellz »

:wave: hey, boss man! I came across this site somehow looking through fitness websites, forums and such. I liked the information and feedback you and other users give advice on. I'm 23 years old, female, 5'6" and 122lbs with a BMI of 19.7. I want to lose weight and build muscle. I'm not taking any supplements or anything to help me bulk up. I do eat a lot of protein and have a very healthy diet. I run 2 miles twice a day 4 days a week, on top of that I am doing kettle bell workouts and using a pull up bar. I'm seeing results after a month but nothing much. Is here any advice you can give me to help me reach goal? Or to get me on the right track? Thanks boss man!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: New to working out. Wanting to build muscle

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there Hellzbellz, good to talk to you.

Great goal to have, so GOOD LUCK with that, but after a month you can't expect to see much, as the body needs time to adjust to the new way of living.

The proof of the pudding will be when you've hit the 10 week mark and you can see if you've been able to step up a bit in what you can lift and one or two other slightly noticeable things like muscle striations in the shoulders and the way your body feels when you flex it.

You know some people will potentially try to make you feel bad for wanting to be a strong female, or make out it's wrong and when you get some progress, then one or two people might criticise you for how you start to look, but you know it doesn't matter, because female strength has the ability to be healthy and beautiful and it's your right to be as strong as you want to be and nobodies right to make you feel bad for something that is normal and natural to be, which is strong.

You've made it through the first month and you seem to have the training and diet nailed down which is a big plus, so props to you for that, but don't be afraid to question your training and diet along the way, because it is hard to achieve the perfect combination and eventually one or both of those things will start to lack the same potency they may have now.

Like I said though, don't be too disheartened after one month, as you need time to adjust to what you're doing and start to get progress, but be proud of yourself and realise that as long as you get technique right and don't overload on weight, then a happy, healthy, stronger, more beautiful and vibrant new you is just waiting to be discovered and no one and nothing can make you feel bad about what you're doing unless you let them; so stay strong, keep persevering and whatever happens, please do let us know how you're getting on, as we always like to know how people are progressing and then we can continue to support people and motivate them to be better than ever :).

Right now, stick with what seems to be working and give it another 5-6 weeks of monitoring, but in the mean time if you need to ask anything else about that, or any other stuff in your life that's worrying or bothering you, let us know, because a happy emotional and mental landscape for people, is the best way to promote physical change and we are here to help people to feel settled and happy in their outlook on the world, not just to physically improve :).