headaches when over exerting

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

stickmanworkouts
STARTING OUT

headaches when over exerting

Post by stickmanworkouts »

Anyone get headaches when they go to hard on say pull ups or tricep dips?

Been checked out by doctors and had ct scans but they still come around when I really push certain exercises. Had 6 months off this year trying to get rid of them and they had gone until last night

Only in left side and come on straight away, really making it hard to do effective strength training.
jvcalia2
STARTING OUT

Re: headaches when over exerting

Post by jvcalia2 »

Do you have enough water/calories in you when you work out? I used to get pretty bad headaches and something as simple as forcing myself to drink a lot of water during lifts has helped a bit. Also, if you've been training very consistently for an extended period of time, have you considered a -load period? Giving your CNS a break for a week (through either doing a lighter workout or simply not going to the gym at all) can really help you come back fresh and ready to go.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Stickman, good to talk to you.

If it's just on pull-ups and dips, then avoid them if they cause it to repeat.

If it's caused by many things, then as JV said, perhaps increase your water intake, or maybe if you're training in an area with very bright interior lighting and / or sunlight blazing in, or even really loud noises around you, perhaps consider earplugs and / or sunglasses, to filter out a lot of light and / or loud noise that might trigger any forms of muscle tension in the head.
stickmanworkouts
STARTING OUT

Post by stickmanworkouts »

thanks both, it wont be the water as I drink nonstop throughout the day and more at workout.

Im going to avoid these exercices for a while, it feels like the muscle at the back of neck going into skull is tight and pulsing. I went for a jog yesterday and the headaches came on instantly.

Trying various stretches to try and relax it now as advised by physio.

Its not the first time its happened and last time I was off the gym for 3 months with physio but I just dont understand why I get it and nor do they.
sveek
STARTING OUT

Post by sveek »

first thought would be what jvcalia mentioned about the water as you could be dehydrated from working to hard.

Another effect of working out to hard to could possible high blood pressure which might explain the headache, check that if you haven't already.