New to weight training! Need advice please.

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

helena505
STARTING OUT

New to weight training! Need advice please.

Post by helena505 »

Hey,

Over the past year or so i have managed to lose quite a lot of weight from just eating a lot healthier but i would really like to tone up more through weights as i would like to tone arms, get a flatter stomach and a bigger bum! haha but im very new to weight lifting and im not really sure what kind of weights i should be lifting. At the moment i have dumbbells but they are very light, only 3KG each.

I am 5ft 2" and 8stone, not sure if that has an impact on how much i should lift or not? But if anyone could give me some advice i would really appreciate it :) the gym isn't an option for me as i find it very difficult to work out in front of people as anxiety is quite bad and have quite low self esteem annoyingly.

Thank you :)

Helena x
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: New to weight training! Need advice please.

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Helena, good to talk to you.

I am sorry to hear that you have social anxiety concerns, as I could recommend certain things for you if you were able to try and find a way around these concerns.

After all 97%+ of people are there to do their own thing, not to behave anti-socially, but I do accept that you have such concerns and of course I want to encourage you to try and overcome these concerns, as a way of adjusting your emotional well being in a positive way, but I do believe I have a solution that will fit with your outlook and mine.

This is a workout you can do at home, that at a later date can be transferred or adapted for the gym, as eventually it will stagnate in success terms as you're limited to what equipment you can use.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets 10 reps

Military press, 2 sets 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps

Planks, 30 seconds

You would do this 3x a week every other day and increase the planks by 5 seconds a week until you can handle 90 seconds, then keep them at 90 seconds.

The main thing is to look at it as a way of making your body work better, not how it looks, as that is a byproduct of successful improvement, but if you focus on the bigger picture of how your internal biology functions, it will help sometimes to remember that what you see is not all that occurs and it will help you to try and not feel deflated sometimes, if it seems like progress is not going anywhere.

Be proud of what you've done so far and remember just how much you're worth it. You seem like a really stellar individual and we as a community would really like to get behind you as a person, so please ask as much as you want to and please keep us updated on things, as we like to know how people get on.

GOOD LUCK and best wishes to you.
helena505
STARTING OUT

Post by helena505 »

Hey,

Thank you so much for your advice as i do really appreciate it. I know alot of people who do workout at home to be honest and i dont really see a problem with it? ha. I feel much more comfortable working out at home :) But i do appreciate your views on it. The workout you have suggested to start with sounds good as those are the kind of exercises i would be doing :). As for equipment i do actually have more weights that brother is giving to me which goes up to about 50KG. I know i will have to start off slow as i am new to strength training but hopefully will get easier with time.

And i am very proud of how far i have come as it took alot for me to get to this point. I am very happy with progress as ive lost 2stone but i just want to tone body more now without losing too much more weight :)

Thank you again for your advice :) Take care,

Helena x
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well tell me exactly what dumbbells / free weight you will have access to so then we can tweak what you're doing.

Would you be able to access anything like some kind of workout bench for example?
Buban12
STARTING OUT

Post by Buban12 »

Hi Helena.

You can always try something like calisthenics. It's a great way of expressing your strength and physical fitness. You can get a toned and well shaped body from it. Search through the internet for some training methods.
Search for bar brothers training methods or streetbarzz training methods.
Glad if I could help.
richard1980
STARTING OUT

Post by richard1980 »

Appreciate the advice Boss Man.
AnthonyDee
STARTING OUT

Post by AnthonyDee »