Looking for advice with creating a full body weight resistance regiment

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

heysick_aisic
STARTING OUT

Looking for advice with creating a full body weight resistance regiment

Post by heysick_aisic »

As a casual runner and tennis player, I feel that it is in best interest to invest time and money in developing a weight resistance program. I am currently looking to invest in a variety of bands, tubes, and dumbbells.
I believe I have found the right range of dumbbell weights (5lb-40lbs in 5lb increments), bands, and tubes(stacking set that can produce up to 75lbs of resistance for leg/hip routines).

I could really use the collective experience and wisdom of this forum to find what brands of equipment are best to invest in(specifically in terms of the lifespan of the tubes and bands).
Also, I could really use help in developing regiments, both upper body/arms and legs, that would best suit a tennis player and runner.

Thank you in advance for all your help! :thumb:

Edit:
Sorry, I forgot to put some important information in this thread.

Height 6'3"/190.5cm
Weight 180lbs/13stones
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Looking for advice with creating a full body weight resistance regiment

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Heysick, good to talk to you.

If you are looking to purchase your own equipment to train at home, then this simple list is one to consider working from.

I've posted this a few times before.

1x 10kg, (22lb), free bar

2x 2kg, (4.4lb), mini bars

4x locking collars

2x 10kg, (22lb), weight discs

4x 5kg, (11lb), weight discs

4x 2kg or 2.5kg, (4.4lb or 5.5lb, depending on the manufacturer), weight discs

4 x 1kg or 1.25kg, (2.2lb or 2.75lb, depending on the manufacturer), weight discs

4x 0.5kg, (1.1lb), weight discs, (optional if you have difficulty finding a seller for them, or feel you can do without them).

A weight lifting bench preferably with risers to keep the bar on and an inclining back rest.

A squat rack, though if this represented too much of a cost issue, or you don't have the space for it, there are alternatives to barbell squatting, so it wouldn't be a must have, but a very beneficial thing.

Other optional things include two rubber tubes, a medicine ball and a swiss ball

This workout should work for you.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks, 30 - 45 seconds

You increase the planks by 5 seconds a week until you can do around 90 seconds

You do this 3 times a week every other day

Use small bars with 2.5kg weights on dumbbells on squats, lunges, Deadlifts and bent over rows and ones with 1.25kg weights on for the other stuff except planks, then increase your weight every 1-2 weeks, until you're going to about 95% of failure for reps, then increase your weight based on how much stronger you get, beyond the acclimatisation period.

In a few weeks you'll be ready to use your barbell with no weight on it for some things.
heysick_aisic
STARTING OUT

Re: Looking for advice with creating a full body weight resistance regiment

Post by heysick_aisic »

Boss Man, I really appreciate the input! Thank you for the lists and tips!