Adding more weight to your deadlift

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

SuperStarGalaxy
STARTING OUT

Adding more weight to your deadlift

Post by SuperStarGalaxy »

Hi guys, I'm starting to get desperate on increasing deadlift.. I've been stuck at 395lbs and trying really hard to get to 405lbs (4 plates). I've tried adding in chalk in the past, that's how I got this far from 355lbs. And I've tried eating more calories to help with lifts. I feel like I'm at genetic limit when I know this isn't true. I've seen people blow past this point before. I came across this article today: Adding 100lbs To Your Deadlift and I know that it won't be as easy as that article says. Maybe if I were a beginner..

Anyways, the article goes over lifting belts, how and why it can improve your lifts. I was wonder if anyone had any insight on how to increase deadlift? Even 5 - 20lbs would make me one happy camper at this rate. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Adding more weight to your deadlift

Post by Boss Man »

Hi SSG, good to talk to you.

Weight belts can be an issue and can act as an assist for the core potentially meaning the core does not engage as well as could be.

Those belts are best for 1RM's and when you have the occasional niggle, but you don't need them beyond those scenarios I:E: doing 8-10 reps when you're 100% fit in the back.

You may be as well to consider altering the diet a bit, as often plateaus stem not from adaption to training, but caloric intake, becoming no longer sufficient to sustain growth.

However if you are potentially able to deadlift more but are hindered by a grip issue, then consider wraps, or weight gloves, the kind of gloves with the little bobbles on the palms, or consider things like squeezing foam balls to improve grip strength, or those metal hand shaped frames that work your fingers on a spring loaded action, but I'd avoid those hand grip things that work with a coiled spring on the top and you squeeze the two padded grips at the bottom, as I believe they slightly increase the risk of wrist problems at a future point.
SuperStarGalaxy
STARTING OUT

Post by SuperStarGalaxy »

Boss Man wrote:Hi SSG, good to talk to you.

Weight belts can be an issue and can act as an assist for the core potentially meaning the core does not engage as well as could be.

Those belts are best for 1RM's and when you have the occasional niggle, but you don't need them beyond those scenarios I:E: doing 8-10 reps when you're 100% fit in the back.

You may be as well to consider altering the diet a bit, as often plateaus stem not from adaption to training, but caloric intake, becoming no longer sufficient to sustain growth.

However if you are potentially able to deadlift more but are hindered by a grip issue, then consider wraps, or weight gloves, the kind of gloves with the little bobbles on the palms, or consider things like squeezing foam balls to improve grip strength, or those metal hand shaped frames that work your fingers on a spring loaded action, but I'd avoid those hand grip things that work with a coiled spring on the top and you squeeze the two padded grips at the bottom, as I believe they slightly increase the risk of wrist problems at a future point.
Thanks for the reply Boss Man. I'm going to alter diet by adding in some more carbs and less fat and see how that goes for the next little while. Have you tried those grips that rock climber use? They're circular and made of rubber(?). All you do is squeeze them. I see some guys use those to train their strength but I'm not sure how effective they would be for weight lifting.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No, I've never used them.
DecidedToday
STARTING OUT

Post by DecidedToday »

The slower you move up the better.