How to gain muscle with no supplements and limited protein

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

petefig59
STARTING OUT

How to gain muscle with no supplements and limited protein

Post by petefig59 »

I have recently lost about 50 lbs and am working on gaining muscle. I work out with dumbbells, kettlebells and bands. I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease and only one kidney. nutritionist said I can have about 70-75 grams of protein/day. I am not allowed to take protein powder or powdered creatine or other supplements. I am 5' 10 1/2" and weigh 150lbs.

I read that to gain muscle you should consume about 1 gram protein/lb of bodyweight per day and take creatine as well. So what are options on trying to gain muscle.

Thank you
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How to gain muscle with no supplements and limited protein

Post by Boss Man »

Hi pete, good to talk to you
petefig59 wrote:! read that to gain muscle you should consume about 1 gram protein/lb of bodyweight per day and take creatine as well. So what are options on trying to gain muscle.
I am not sure where you read that stuff about creatine, but it's garbage basically. There is no need at all to take creatine to bulk, even though I am not against creatine and it can help.

Creatine often exists in meat and fish anyway and average human consumption on a daily basis is around 2g.

You don't really have many options by the sound of things, apart from making sure you're getting a decent amount of carbs and having a goodly amount of healthy fats in your diet, as well as making sure your workouts are productive enough and consistently implemented.
petefig59
STARTING OUT

Re: How to gain muscle with no supplements and limited protein

Post by petefig59 »

Thanks Boss Mam, appreciate the reply.