How do you add weight to weight training?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

plimpington2
STARTING OUT

How do you add weight to weight training?

Post by plimpington2 »

I'm 43, about 15 pounds heavier than I want to be. I lost 40 with running, but 15 have crept back despite keeping the miles up. So, I'm adding weight training. I have two questions with the following in mind: I'm looking for tone and weight loss.

1) Do I want low weight and high reps, or high weights and low reps?

2) How do I add weight to help me get stronger and leaner? For instance, lets suppose i'm doing chest presses. 3 sets, 10 reps each at 70 pounds (70/70/70). As it is now, I struggle on the 3rd set to get the weight up. What are the titration strategies to improve this? Do I keep pounding away at 70/70/70 until I don't have trouble, then add weight to all 3 sets (ie., 85/85/85), rinse and repeat until time to increase again? Or do I add reps until I can't lift the load (70/70/70 doing reps until I can no longer move)? Or, do I add weight to the early sets, and go back down to lower weights when I can't lift the load anymore (ie., 85/85/70)?

It seems to me there are MANY ways to build strength, but surely there is an optimal strategy. Any advice?

Plimpington2
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How do you add weight to weight training?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Plimpington, good to talk to you.

In answer to question one the latter option is preferable.

As for increasing the weight used, you don't need to go to failure, so if you're trying to get 10 reps on each set for example, them when you get there, increase the weight a bit and aim for 6-7 if you're doing any exercises where you use both arms and legs in tandem.

If you're doing any leg or arm exercises, where you work the limbs alternately and not in tandem, then I'd wait until you can hit 12 reps to be on the safe side, before you increase what you use.