workout plan

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

wevie
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

workout plan

Post by wevie »

I have come up with a workout plan and want to know if it makes sense. I want to get a little bigger and toned and maybe a little ripped one of these days.

I have started doing sets starting at 15 reps. This includes warm up sets as well. I add ten pounds after each set for about three or four more sets and then 5 pounds each set intill I can only get four reps. I make four reps last set.

Bench press is something like this

60lbs x 15 reps
70lbs x 15 reps
80lbs x 12 reps
90lbs x 12 reps
100lbs x 10 reps
110lbs x 10 reps
120lbs x 8 reps
130lbs x 6 reps
135lbs x 6 reps
140lbs x 4 reps

Like I said that is warm up sets as well. So far I have onlyl been doing that with the bench press and have only did it the last two chest workouts.

Thoughts or suggestions on this would be great. Is it good or bad? If it is good, would it be ok do do all sets for all muscle workouts?
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Too many sets and too many reps.

10 reps is good for the warm ups.

8 to 10 reps is good for the heavier work.

6 sets is probably enough if you use poundage that will tire you out.

Finish off with a set identical to the warm up but with special attention to strict form.
wevie
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by wevie »

Ok. So if I am doing six sets of each lift, then how many lifts should I be doing? Should it be the same for each muscle?

If chest, what about dumb bell flies, bench press, incline press, and decline press, What else can you do for chest? I know you can do dumb press also. Should I do dumb bell and bar bell press? What is the difference really?

For biceps, I have been doing preacher curls, bar bell curls with ez curl bar, concentration curls, hammer curls, and dumb bell curls. Any more I should be doing?

What are the best lifts for triceps?

Should I be lifting for forearms? If so, what are the best lifts?
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Too many of everything. For each muscle group do one primary and one secondary exercise for 3 to 6 sets of 6 to 10 reps.

Work each muscle group 2 to 3 times per week.

For biceps, EZ curls are a good choice for the primary; reverse curls are a good choice for the secondary.

There are pre-written workout schedules on-line. Pick one that suits you and try that for about 6 weeks. (But show us the schedule before you start so we can tell you if it is suitable).
wevie
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by wevie »

So I should only be doing two lifts for each muscle group?

I thought if you were looking to get toned or ripped you needed lighter weight with higher reps? Is 10 reps considered high then?

I read and here so many different things. It's hard to determine what is right and wrong or for that matter just what would be best for me.
wevie
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by wevie »

Do you have any suggestions for any websites with the pre-written workout schedules?
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Look back in the workout section you will find many called out within this forum.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Beginners and intermediate weight lifters are best served by working the primary and one secondary movement for each body part. Try upping the resistance instead of doing more sets.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

your doing 94 reps before you're top wt making not a top wt at all as your muscles are already overtrained

here's where it's at:

1 - if your doing full body workouts then 1 exercise per main muscle group for 3 - 5 sets depending on the rep range which depends on your goal

2 - if doing upper/lower body workouts then you'd do 1 - 2 exercises per main muscle group agaion depending on your reps and goals

i usually only do 1 exercise per movekment if that each workout but i work them hard for 4 - 5 sets usually

you don't need much if your doing it properly

www.uponlinetraining.com
wevie
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by wevie »

I'm not really worried about lower body right now. I still have 13 pounds to lose to make weight goal. Have went from 225 to 193 with a goal of 180. I am 5'11".

I think all the running is enough for now. legs were pretty toned to start with and are more so since I began running.

main focus is biceps, triceps, and chest. I also want to work shoulders and back some also.

With chest, I want to flatten it. I have little man boobs. :oops:

With arms, maybe a little bigger and a lot more toned is the goal there.

So..........can anyone suggest a lifting program with this in mind? Lifts, sets, reps, weight?

I went to the workout forum and looked through the first few pages and didn't see much for me or at least I don't think I did.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

wevie
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by wevie »

swanso5 wrote:you won't lose or gain much more without leg work

also:

http://www.uponlinetraining.com/articles/0004.html

and

http://www.uponlinetraining.com/articles/0008.html

I know that. I don't want to make legs sore or make them tired and not be able to run.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

making your legs sore and tired will do 100 x more for you then running 4/week

ww.uponlinetraining.com
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

As frequently is the case Swanso and I disagree. So you will have to pick your expert.

According to Packard:

Train your body the way you intend to use it. If you are training to run, then run.

Make running the primary exercise for your training.

Some light squats, leg curls, lunges and calf raises will round out the leg routine.

Heavy squats will not improve your running and may make your legs slower. Building mass on your legs will work against distance running, but may be fine for sprinting.
wevie
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by wevie »

The reason I don't want to weight lift with legs is I don't want to make them sore or tire them out.

If I do squats and lunges, they will be sore, for a week or two at least. If they get as sore as they did when I started working out 15 years ago, there is no way I will be able to run 4 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week.

Once I get to the weight I wish to be, I may work legs some, but, I'm still not all that concerned about them. They are pretty toned already.