Super Slow Zone ?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

sawhaler
STARTING OUT

Super Slow Zone ?

Post by sawhaler »

Has anyone heard of these facilities? Apparently it utilizes 2 20 minute workouts a week where you don't break a sweat and can therefore return to work without a shower. :roll: . I'm not a believer, maybe for someone starting at nothing, but maybe someone here has tried with success.
TheFitRebel
STARTING OUT

Re: Super Slow Zone ?

Post by TheFitRebel »

Wow these are news to me!

I can see the apeal, but if it's going to be a nice and easy workout I would just go for a nice walk or something and save the money. Sure they might do something but a low intensity activity done twice a week is only going to be slightly effective. It's better than nothing but you probably will do more just parking your car at the far end of the parking lot and walking in from there.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Superslow is not an easy workout when done correctly. The idea is to pick a weight that you can do very slow reps with. The rep count and speed is usually something like 6-8 reps of 10 seconds concentric and 10 second eccentric phases. Different pace protocols are common.

When performed correctly the intensity is extreme, you feel a deeper muscle involvement particularly since momentum has been removed from the equation. It doesn't take long before lactic acids builds and muscle fatigues. BTW it is not sweat free, the pace may be slower, but the amount of work and effort is still there.

Studies are mixed as to if it is more or less effective than traditional lifting. For the elderly or when rehabilitating an injury it might be a safer protocol. If your goal is to be a better athlete, where speed or explosiveness is concerned than this is not the choice for you. However, for a change up, or to get past a plateau its well worth an occasional go.
dtlaycoc
STARTING OUT

Post by dtlaycoc »

I have recently completed a 6 week Superslow program and have found it to be outstanding!
The workout is from Ellington Darden and recommends 1 1/2 reps, starting with the negative ... lowering for 30 seconds, followed by a positive for 30 seconds, and then a negative for another 30 seconds.
It has really made a difference to body, however when I go back to normal workout of 8 - 12 reps I don't know how much I should increase the weight by.
Of course, I can just adjust the weights till they are correct, but I wonder if anyone on the forum has any idea about the anticipated increase.
I've been working out for many years, am 71 years old, and in fairly good shape.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi dtlaycoc, good to talk to you.

If you're going back to a higher rep level for around 2-3 seconds a rep, then you'd be wise to decrease dumbell weight by around 4-5kgs per dumbell and for barbells as well.
dtlaycoc
STARTING OUT

Post by dtlaycoc »

Hi Boss Man
Thanks for the reply!
You surprised me with your comment to reduce the weights for a conventional workout... I am expecting an increase.
I'll give it a go and report back with results!

Dave
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You would need to, because the high rep range wouldn't be sustainale with the same level of weight. I:E if someone could deadlift 150kgs for 3 reps and go close to failure, they couldn't do 8 reps close to failure, so the person would probably have to drop to 145kgs/146kgs, to hit an 8 rep level, because even reducing to 147.5kgs/148kgs, depending on the free weight available to them, would not be sufficient and that small drop would probably give the person an extra 2 reps of lift potential, but 4-5kgs drop should permit the extra 5 reps aimed for and at least another 4 reps.