running shoes

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

running shoes

Post by musculArgirl2 »

How much should you spend on a good pair of running shoes? I've always spent about 100.00 i feel like if i buy cheaper it might not be as good?? I always by asics. But maybe that is not necessary?? I'm trying to cut costs so just wondering what people's feedback on this was.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: running shoes

Post by Boss Man »

Try to buy ones that suit your style.

A: Neutral

B: Pronated, (Ankle rolls inwards)

C: Supinated, (Ankle rolls outwards)

Cross-trainers are often considered a good way to go, as is heel support. Nothing worse than having ones with a bit too much wiggle room around the Achillies and Calcaneous and Talus Bones, for potentially encouraging blisters, or maybe even a sprained ankle and / or connective tissue damage, if the ankle turns all of a sudden.

You do want a bit of give though, as ones that feel too snug or might pinch a bit won't be comfortable and theoretically I suppose, might encourage DVT from restricted circulation, but don't quote me on that.

Then factor in price, but spending more won't help much, if the product is not correct for your natural running style.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

musculArgirl2 wrote:How much should you spend on a good pair of running shoes? I've always spent about 100.00 i feel like if i buy cheaper it might not be as good??
Just depends on the shoe. I've never spent more than $60 for running shoes. If you've had good luck with Asics then try them first. I like Asics, current road running shoes are Asics. It depends on what kind of foot you have. Nike tends to run narrow, as do New Balance. But Asics, Adidas, Brooks, Saucony all seem to have a wide toe box.
Things to look for are heel and mid shoe support, ample toe box (for the tootsies), and at least 1/2" room at the top of the shoe. Don't try to buy your street shoe size, running shoes usually will be at least 1 size or 1.5 (depends on the shoe) larger. I wear a street shoe 7.5 but running shoes are anywhere from 8.5 to 9! If your toes are cramped or have no where to move, you will have injuries in other areas of your foot as your foot has to adjust to the restricted space. Make sure the shoe doesn't bend in half like a pancake = no support. Also make sure that only the forefoot bends up and that from the mid shoe back stays straight - this ensures proper midshoe/heel support. Hold the heel end in one hand, the forefoot in the other and press up, it should bend at the forefoot with a bit of pressure - NOT too hard tho' If it is too hard to bend the shoe at all, then it is no good = injuries usually across the top of the foot (been there done that).
And even if they feel great just like they are - don't forget to go ahead and put your inserts in them. Just take out the ones that come with the shoe - I save them and sometimes put them in other shoes (like boots or other regular shoes).
Do you have a running shoe store in your area? It really is best if you can try on and walk/jog around a bit to feel the fit and support. Even better if the store can "fit" you for a shoe. I buy mine from a sporting goods store and sometimes a shoe store. In fact I just recently bought some trail shoes and tried on 10 different pairs, from $80 to $50 - ended up buying the $50 because of the fit. Adidas Kanadia 4.
Good luck! Hope this helps (sorry for all the info...I've bought a few pairs of running shoes in lifetime... :D )
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Thanks for the info both of you! what's funny is i don't even know what running style is if ankle rolls in or out or what. But i want to get some shoes shortly as long as feet hold up and i can continue to run so i will take all your advice into account! Thanks! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Also if they come with those bits of tissue paper in them, to maintain the shape when boxed, remember to take them out first before wearing the shoes :wink:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Thanks boss for the advice!! I can see you respect intelligence.. :P
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

I think buying a good pair of shoes is really important, especially if they're used frequently. Physiotherapy and corrective orthotics get really expensive down the road if you don't take care of your feet.

I just got a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes for $130 CAD that I really like. I tried on the women's size 8.5 and they were too small and the store didn't have any other sizes, so I tried a men's 7 and it fit like a glove and felt awesome. I like them for everything - running, weightlifting, and gymnastics moves. They're light and supportive, and the Vibram sole is good for preventing overpronation, which women are predisposed to. I have heard good things about both Saucony and Asics, and have used them in the past. Good luck with your search!
bpaulson14
STARTING OUT

Post by bpaulson14 »

There is some debate as to whether expensive shoes do more harm than less expensive shoes. In his book "Born to Run," Christopher McDougall cites a 1991 study in "Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise" that concludes that "'wearers of expensive running shoes that are promoted as having additional features that protect (eg, more cushioning, 'pronation correction') are injured significantly more frequently than runners wearing inexpensive shoes.'

You can see the passage in "Born to Run" here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... z1neBGDK11 And here is a link to the abstract of the study McDougall references (the full article is not freely available): http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstr ... ot.15.aspx

So you may be better off staying at the price point you're at right now.

Finally, here is a link to a helpful guide to proper running shoe selection:
http://halfmarathoners.com/running-shoe ... shoe-guide
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

bpaulson14 wrote:There is some debate as to whether expensive shoes do more harm than less expensive shoes. In his book "Born to Run," Christopher McDougall cites a 1991 study in "Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise" that concludes that "'wearers of expensive running shoes that are promoted as having additional features that protect (eg, more cushioning, 'pronation correction') are injured significantly more frequently than runners wearing inexpensive shoes.'
Those studies are really important. At Merrell.com there is a video about "bareform running" and they have a good video that shows the new innovation in running "natural style". It's called "Pose Running" in the CrossFit world, and "Primal Running" in others. It follows the idea that the human foot is made to run a certain way, and that running shoes with a heel cushion interrupt that movement and cause injuries.

The thing about the New Balance Minimus, or any shoe like it, is that it doesn't have that heel cushion, so you can practice a midfoot or ball-of-the-foot strike, rather than a heel strike. The Minimus allows you to feel the ground/floor underneath you, so they're good for the olympic lifting too, as there is no heel cushion urging you onto the ball of your foot.

I want to follow-up by saying that I don't think the price is what matters in principle, it's the ability of the footwear to do what you need it to do without causing you harm. With footwear I have found price and quality correlate pretty closely: flip flops and crocs are cheap and everyone wears them, but they're really hard on your feet and your body; you're better off barefoot or in a $200 pair of Mephisto sandals that are designed with your foot in mind.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Crocs are not only cheap, but also nasty and hideously ugly as well. I wonder if the person who did the initial sketches for those is proud of themselves, because they shouldn't be :wink:

Sometimes price on clothing doesn't equate to quality or look and sometimes it does. It's a case of finding what feels right, then trying to factor price in, assuming the price tag didn't immediately put someone off who was shopping on a tight budget.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Boss Man wrote:Sometimes price on clothing doesn't equate to quality or look and sometimes it does. It's a case of finding what feels right, then trying to factor price in, assuming the price tag didn't immediately put someone off who was shopping on a tight budget.
You can still by quality higher end stores at good deals a lot. Or at least as highend as the midwest allows here. LOL I think the best we got here is nordstroms and bloomingdales if you shop clearance, sales, and coupon deals. I know someone that dresses very nicely but always buys things on clearance or with coupons i think sometimes. She never buys full price. and i know they spend small amounts of money for their clothese. They do however shop an awful lot looking for those deals.

When i worked at a dept store the sales were pretty much the price of the product. Basically the items on sales were were always on sale. But they would have coupons and at this particular dept store they also had certain days that were discounts for seniors and a goodwill day where you brought in something for goodwill and you go discounts off clothing.

I wore flip flops last summer quite a bit i would walk quite far in them and i hurt feet by the end of summer with possibly plantar fasciities so i wouldn't recommend those shoes either!
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:Crocs are not only cheap, but also nasty and hideously ugly as well. I wonder if the person who did the initial sketches for those is proud of themselves, because they shouldn't be :wink:
Haha I hope not!
musculArgirl2 wrote:I wore flip flops last summer quite a bit i would walk quite far in them and i hurt feet by the end of summer with possibly plantar fasciities so i wouldn't recommend those shoes either!
Good call! Here's a New Balance video about Pose Running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIzuejCXbU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Either way, let us know when you get new shoes :)
DebC
STARTING OUT

Post by DebC »

I'm terrible I just buy the cheapest trainers to run in.... I think current pair cost me £10.
watkinsc
STARTING OUT

Post by watkinsc »

I think it depends on how much running you are going to do - getting cheap equipment means it just wont last as long. AS per the comments on Chris McDouggal's 'born to run', have a read of this article http://www.gocaveman.co.uk/barefoot-shoes-good-or-bad/. I would advise you to have a good read of some articles and unless you are very flat footed then it is best to start out running with good technique. Much like lifting weights it is easier to learn good technique when you are starting out rather than develop bad habits! BArefoot runnning form can be seen as a bit of a craze at the moment but it is definitely a very interesting subject and has changed the way i think about running. IF anything, Born to Run is a good read!!!

Cost - this will vary massively and definitely should not be the main factor for why you buy shoes, but bear in mind that if you buy really really cheap shoes then you may encounter problems purely because they are not made with good enough materials. I used to run with Asics a lot and have always found them to be reliable, although most of the big brands are reliable.

Dont go for crocs - how could you run in them? Plus they look ridiculous. they are weirdly comfortable but i wouldnt be seen dead in them!
tray8804
STARTING OUT

Post by tray8804 »

I also usually spend $100. To be honest I find it hard to find the durability and comfort I want in anything cheaper, though I have found a good pair for as little as $60. They last, but they aren't as comfortable as other shoes.