favorite cross-training that complements running!

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

favorite cross-training that complements running!

Post by musculArgirl2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:32 am

I'm not a runner right now but in my past i rollerbladed a lot and ran and that i think complements running. I just saw an article about how yoga is a nice to do for running. helps build your core and hips and improve flexibility and can help with staying injury free.

Athene
REGULAR

Re: favorite cross-training that complements running!

Post by Athene » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Yoga with running sounds great - cross training like that is important with running, because running is so hard on your body.
I like swimming to balance out running - it's an upper body focus instead of a lower body focus, and it's zero-impact on your joints. I know I don't have to convince you of the benefits of swimming though, water baby ;)

watkinsc
STARTING OUT

Re: favorite cross-training that complements running!

Post by watkinsc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:28 am

Anything that utilises other muscles and can help stretch and compliment running. I like swimming and yoga to help with muscle soreness but cycling for me has provided the greatest compliment and helped with my running. However, be careful because this can lead to a very very tight IT band so use a foam roller to stretch and release tension.