favorite cross-training that complements running!

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

favorite cross-training that complements running!

Post by musculArgirl2 »

I'm not a runner right now but in past i rollerbladed a lot and ran and that i think complements running. I just saw an article about how yoga is a nice to do for running. helps build your core and hips and improve flexibility and can help with staying injury free.
Athene
REGULAR

Re: favorite cross-training that complements running!

Post by Athene »

Yoga with running sounds great - cross training like that is important with running, because running is so hard on your body.
I like swimming to balance out running - it's an upper body focus instead of a lower body focus, and it's zero-impact on your joints. I know I don't have to convince you of the benefits of swimming though, water baby ;)
watkinsc
STARTING OUT

Re: favorite cross-training that complements running!

Post by watkinsc »

Anything that utilises other muscles and can help stretch and compliment running. I like swimming and yoga to help with muscle soreness but cycling for me has provided the greatest compliment and helped with running. However, be careful because this can lead to a very very tight IT band so use a foam roller to stretch and release tension.