Help beginning running please

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

humility
STARTING OUT

Help beginning running please

Postby humility » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 am

I've recently decided that cardio might be what I need instead of weight training, mostly because I can't do a push-up and have no weights. So I looked up 'how to begin running' on google and the suggestion was for a beginner to run twenty minutes a day, with 4 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.

So I went to my road, set my stop watch and ran, or something that felt like running to me at least. I started out at a run, then it devolved into a stumbling run, then a sort of jog, then a stumbling fast walk, then a slow walk and then I just had to stop complete, I was short of breath, my chest hurt and the muscles around my ankles and above them, kind of felt like what a muscle feels like when you stretch it after waking up but lot less pleasant. Ironically it felt a lot like what it feels like when I've been sitting too long and need to stand and walk. I checked my stop watch at this point, and just over two and a half minutes had elapsed. So I panted for a while and tried again, this time I decided I would just do a fast walk, I lasted for another thirty seconds. Then I tried again at a slow walk I occasionally would burst into a short run on, this got me to 5 minutes ten seconds, then I stumbled inside and collapsed in a chair, my breathing was getting raspy at this point. After an hour I recovered and decided to try again. I started off at a jog this time, I had devolved into a walk after about 2 minutes and by 8 minutes 40 seconds.(I hadn't reset my stop watch yet) I felt this massive pain at a 45 degree angle to my left back and side. And now I'm starting to wonder if twenty minutes is even possible for a beginner. So I decided to come and post my situation on some exercise forums to see if I was doing anything wrong.

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Help beginning running please

Postby Boss Man » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Humility, good to talk to you.

Try this and see how it goes.

You do the cardio for 5-6 days on a fairly flat course, not consecutively, for 30 minutes consisting of 10 mini cycles.

Week 1, walk for 2 minutes 50 seconds, jog for 10 seconds.

Week 2, walk for 2 minutes 40 seconds, jog for 20 seconds

Week 3, walk for 2 minutes 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds.

You see a pattern emerge.

If you get to the point of running 30 minutes in a row, then you have options.

1. Running another 5 minutes a week until you get to 1 hour

2. Running a bit faster to see how far you get in 30 minutes, eventually allowing for more duration.

3. Running on a tougher course for 30 minutes eventually allowing for more duration.

ArielBrazeau
STARTING OUT

Postby ArielBrazeau » Fri May 13, 2016 12:40 am

Boss Man wrote:Hi Humility, good to talk to you.

Try this and see how it goes.

You do the cardio for 5-6 days on a fairly flat course, not consecutively, for 30 minutes consisting of 10 mini cycles.

Week 1, walk for 2 minutes 50 seconds, jog for 10 seconds.

Week 2, walk for 2 minutes 40 seconds, jog for 20 seconds

Week 3, walk for 2 minutes 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds.

You see a pattern emerge.

If you get to the point of running 30 minutes in a row, then you have options.

1. Running another 5 minutes a week until you get to 1 hour

2. Running a bit faster to see how far you get in 30 minutes, eventually allowing for more duration.

3. Running on a tougher course for 30 minutes eventually allowing for more duration.

New to this forum..Thank you Boss Man. This is what i need form here, i too decide to begin my cardio since i have no weights for to do workouts. So this idea is much helpful for me.

West
STARTING OUT

Postby West » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:45 am

Thats really helpful... thank you!

RjMaan
STARTING OUT

Postby RjMaan » Sun May 13, 2018 8:14 am

That's great. I would suggest you to make a short targets and once achieve them then go for the bigger ones. I means, if you are going for the twenty minutes walk then after some days increase the time so that you can have more and more.

Return to “Running Zone”