HELP - knee pain!!!

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bells_009
STARTING OUT

HELP - knee pain!!!

Post by bells_009 »

I would be so grateful if anybody could give me some advice on recurring knee pain. I started running a while back and got a pain in thigh which lead to knee pain. The last bit of running I did was about 3-4 week ago and was quite intense intervals. After this knee was so painful I decided to give up on the running for a while and started swimming, it was then I noticed some swelling around the knee and I couldn't really bend it but the pain wasn't overly bad at this stage. I was still doing circuits twice a week and kettlebells as well as swimming. I then went to a physio who didn't really give me any explanation as to where this pain was coming from but massaged it and told me to rest. I rested it for 6 days with ice and elevation when possible and got a sports strap for it which made it feel great - there was no pain at all. Then I went back to circuits again last night and the pain is back again today. There is no swelling but there is pain at the outside of the knee cap and at the outer side of the back of the knee. During circuits I was really careful whilst squatting and didn't feel any pain with the strap on so I thought it was ok.

Does anybody know if it's likely I am doing more damage to knee through exercising? I really don't want to have to give up exercising but at the same time don't want to be doing lasting damage to knee. I would be so grateful for any advice.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: HELP - knee pain!!!

Post by Boss Man »

It could be several things.

You could be getting some kind of bursitis, or possibly inflammation of the patella tendon, or maybe something like chondromalacia patellae, if the cartilage is slipping to the lateral, (outside), part of the knee, with some kind of accompanying grating type noise.

It may also be linked to the meniscii, the shock absorbers in your knee possibly.

It clearly isn't down to your running style I would presume, as that would normally manifest in the ankle and foot area, in the form of shin splints, or something like plantar fasciitis.

The ricing approach will have had some effect regards mediating the problem I feel, given what you posted about doing those things, but it is still difficult to know.

The fact you were squatting with a strap on, suggests the problem is exacerbated or brought on by aerobic movement, where running could have a constant shocking type effect on the knee and there is possibly some overstretching and / or repetitive strain on a connective tissue, or the cartilage.

The squatting admission, also eludes a possibility with the knee ligaments, as the anterior cruciate assists with forward movement and rotation and the posterior assists with backward movement, the medial and lateral collegiates on the side are for stabilising the knee joint, so these may be getting overstretched or overexposed to too much, shock from the impact of planting your feet when running, as the squatting movmenets should have minor impact on these ligaments especially as the knees shouldn't move in a way where the lower legs move forwards and back.

It is difficult to really know what is going on and I am only eluding to possible avenues of exploration, not giving you actual insights into this obviously.

Perhaps instead of a physio, have you considered a Kinesiologist, or at least another physio maybe?

You might also want to invest in some cartilage and joint friendly supplements, like Hyaluronic Acid, Chondroitin, Cartazyne, MSM and Vit C as examples.

Hopefully some or all of what I said makes some sense and gives you things to research, or ideas to think about.

GOOD LUCK and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask :).
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Things to look for are swelling, buckling and locking of the knee as they are symptoms of a torn meniscus. Knee laxity, instability or insufficiency would point to a torn ligament. Did the Dr. perform any manipulation tests such as a Drawer test or apprehension test. If they were worth their weight they did. I would (in the mean time) repeat the earlier RICE treatment. Once it feels better add straight legs lifts, 6 inch step-ups, squat to 90% and hold to strengthen support. Add more reps or higher step-ups as pain allows. Warm-up with walking followed by foam roller work particularly focusing on quads, hamstrings and IT Track (side of thigh from knee to hip). Continue to ice post workout. If there is no significant injury you should be able to return to your regular workouts in a matter of weeks, but don't rush it. Once you do progress gradually, too much too soon may cause re-injury.
Best,

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Studio City
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

If you have a problem of knee pain then stop doing the exercises.Ice is good for knee pain. Because it helps to reduce the pain swelling also.If your weight is more than normal then lose your weight.