bruises everywhere!

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

bruises everywhere!

Post by OfficeGirl »

Hey folks, I need some advice on how to minimize bruising. Just as a discliamer, I'm not being abused by anyone other than myself and being slightly clumsy. I just keep finding little bruises, like penny or nickel sized on thighs, around the knee area and on forearms. I eat spinach and kale in salad and try to eat red meat a couple times a week. I've always had this issue, but since a major diet change and cutting out almost all processed foods and other assorted junks, I find that I bruise even more easily. Any thoughts? I like to wear shorts and sundresses in the summer, but the bruises definitely put a cramp in style. Obviously, being a bit more careful is top of the list, but is there anything I can do with diet or supplements or otherwise improve the issue?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: bruises everywhere!

Post by Boss Man »

Hey there :).

In the past have you ever had anything like a recent surgical procedure, or been taking any forms of uncommon medicine I:E non-over the counter drugs?
OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Post by OfficeGirl »

Hi! I haven't had anything medical going on. son is 2 1/2, so I don't think giving birth is a factor at this point. I do take a couple of supplements. One is a green tea fat burner, and the other is fish oil. Do you think those are affecting me negatively? parents have done a diet change very similar to mine, and dad is having bruising issues like mine. I just don't get why a modified paleo diet would cause that.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It may possibly re linked to a small decrease in one or more nutrients. Have you tried taking a multivitamin and seeing if that works.

Otherwise it may well require medical attention.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Boss Man wrote:It may possibly re linked to a small decrease in one or more nutrients. Have you tried taking a multivitamin and seeing if that works.

Otherwise it may well require medical attention.

I thought someone bruising easily can be a sign of low iron?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Possibly yes, I think I heard that once. Low iron can lead to anemia and from memory an inflammatory condition called pruritis.

So the remark about possibly a reduction in one or more nutrients would remain valid :).
FitandLeila816
STARTING OUT

Post by FitandLeila816 »

Perhaps it's in your diet as you've stated that your dad's bruising the same way as yours. Or you may be having an allergic reaction? This might be helpful: Mayo Clinic

Mods, you may edit the link if it's not allowed. Apologies if they are.