Kidney stone issues on the back burner - for now

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Roby2015
STARTING OUT

Kidney stone issues on the back burner - for now

Post by Roby2015 »

Had emergency kidney stone surgery this summer and had followup appointment; complete with bloodwork and urine sample (I passed a small stone the day before the appointment LOL)
The Dr told me to keep doing what I have been - lemon juice daily, lots of water, keep away from the high oxalate foods - and that is where question comes from - spinach, kale, rhubarb and beets (greens and root)all have high levels of oxalate-anyone know of other leafy greens that will give me the nutrients but not the oxalate?

I have an ultrasound followup in 6 months and I want to see improvements
Thanks
Roby
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Kidney stone issues on the back burner - for now

Post by Boss Man »

Well kidney stones can also be caused by excessive protein and red meat intake, so perhaps switch some red meat for white and / or fish.

This page I found might be of some benefit to you.

urology.med.ubc.ca/files/2007/06/oxalate-2007.pdf

You'll have to paste it into your web browser as I simply cannot get it to link on here.
Roby2015
STARTING OUT

Post by Roby2015 »

Thank you Boss Man the pdf gave me more information that I had found -I found the statement that even if it has high oxalate doesn't mean it is all absorbed to be interesting - I hadn't seen that anywhere else. I have a 'script from Dr to see a nutritionist so I'll bring this along and hopefully get it straightened out.

We have decreased our red meat consumption and added more veggie protein in the way of beans. And it wasn't too hard giving up tea but chocolate is a whole different matter :cry:

As for the fluid intakes I'm good there LOL the urologist needed a 24hr urine collection for the last appointment and he said I'm the only patient he's had who ever filled the container :wowzer: 2.5 quarts ! I do drink about 48-64 oz of water (and then tack on whatever else I drink in the day)
Roby
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not to be nitpicky, but beans are actually legumes, not vegetables, unless you meant vegetarian protein, in which case I retract potential nitpickiness :tongue: :).
Roby2015
STARTING OUT

Post by Roby2015 »

you are right beans are legumes :oops: - and yes I'm looking for vegetarian protein from the legumes
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

So presumably you are trying to eat a vegetarian diet if I assume correctly.
Roby2015
STARTING OUT

Post by Roby2015 »

We are not totally vegetarian but we've decreased red meat consumption to 1-2/week, chicken and fish 2x/week and lots more grains and beans etc.
we've gone with smaller meat portions and larger portions of veg and starch/grain. Still having problems getting the required fruits in - hard at this time of the year with cookies in the house. But that is short term - just went shopping and bought lots of fruits so we don't have any excuses
Roby
Roby2015
STARTING OUT

Post by Roby2015 »

urologist wasn't concerned (labs for him all came back normal) but GP sent me to a Nephrologist to see if we could stop the kidney stones from forming - the guy didn't even have workups in front of him but he wanted to put me on water pills (for the rest of life!!! :wowzer: :shock: )! And he was so condescending about alternative options (changing diet, etc.) "you'll have to do this eventually" ... I drink 48-64 oz of water (plus other drinks thru the day) and the urine is almost clear so I think I'm urinating enough... It's been a week since I saw him and I am STILL so frustrated and angry when I think about it!!! It is good incentive :twisted: to prove him wrong

I'm seeing a nutritionist next week so I can more focus on the diet and I'm working on the exercise-slowly but surely I'll improve :sunshine:
Roby
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Kidney stones can be caused by excessive protein and red meat intake.