Joint pain and inflammation

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

cookies
STARTING OUT

Joint pain and inflammation

Post by cookies »

I am 66 years old and in respectable shape. I work out on a regular basis, both cardio and strength. I supplement this with golf, cycling and walking. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult because of joint pain and inflammation. I would like to avoid pain killers such as acetamimiphin and ibuprofin for fear of what they do to your stomach and liver. I tried the glucosamine and condroitin route as well for several years with little or no noticeable change. Does anyone know of any non drug supplement that can offer some relief. Any other dinosaures in this forum?
swanso5
VETERAN

Re: Joint pain and inflammation

Post by swanso5 »

what's joints cause pain? what causes the inflammation?

http://www.uponlinetraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Have you seen a rheumatologist? The cause of the problem should first be identified.

What you want to avoid, and what you are able to avoid are not always in agreement.
cookies
STARTING OUT

Post by cookies »

Thank you, swanso5 and Packard. Yes, I have had the inflammation diagnosed and x-rays taken. Knee and hip joints are the most prevelant and the cause is mild arthritis. Not bad enough for treatment, doctors recommend over the counter as required. Joint pain comes and goes randomly and inflammation not so often. Doctors advise that physical activity will not do harm, in fact lack of activity could be the worst thing. Ibuprofin is the miracle drug and is very effective but the side effects are scary. Acetaminiphin is less effective and has issues of its own. I have modified weight training to lesser weights/more reps and most of cardio is non-impact. I was looking for some supplements that have proven benefits with little or no harmful side effects.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

I take Naproxen Sodium with good results. It also has some side effects. I'm allowed just 3 tabs a day.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/naproxen-side-effects.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Anti-inflammatory foods. Onions, Peppers and Apples, (Quercetin). Pineapple, (Bromelain).

Also you might find a Hyaluronic Acid supplement as a good option, as H A, is a player in Synovial fluid that lubricates joints, such as the Finger joints.
cookies
STARTING OUT

Post by cookies »

Thank you Packard and BM. It would appear that Naproxen has about the same side effects and long term effects as Ibuprofen, and that oral hyurlaronic acid supplements have questionable results. Onions, peppers, apples and pineapple are alredy part of diet. Maybe I'll up consumption of these and hope for the best. Thanks again for your responses.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

mobilise - ankles, hips, thoracic, glenohumeral joints

stabilise - knee, lumbar, scapula joints