Injury Symptoms

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitoverforty
VETERAN

Injury Symptoms

Post by fitoverforty »

I injured right foot while road running the other day. The pain was in the top right side of root closest to the ankle area. Was very sore for a few days, but eventually subsided. Ran for the first time yesterday - had no pain BUT...every since then the muscle that was injured has started twitching at random - at rest or walking, just whenever. It is not painful, just bothersome and nerve wracking. Does anyone know why the twitching has started? When will it end? What can I do to make it stop before I lose mind? :shock:
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Injury Symptoms

Post by Boss Man »

You might be experiencing an issue with the Tibial Nerve, the one that runs down the inside or medial side of the Ankle, where the Tarsal Tunnel is. The Tarsal Tunnel might for some reason, be intermittently causing slight impingement of the Nerve itself.

Presumably it is a muscle sensation, it's not just a slight throbbing that comes and goes within an hour, as I occasionally get those, they're called Vasospams, which are basically a fast repetitive twitching of a blood pathway, that are pretty harmless.

If it was anything vascular in origin, then avoiding any sort of caffeinated things, including Coffee, Tea, Guarana, Kola Nuts etc etc, might help, as one thing Caffeine does is Vasoconstrict bloodvessels, for a short time at least.

Perhaps it is when resting, you have some kind of specific foot position that's doing it, like reclining with the feet crossed, or one foot resting at a sloped angle, or propping one Leg on the other Knee.

When walking, I cannot say how the sesnation would occur, other than it must be either

A: Vascular in origin.

B: Nervous in origin.

It can't be due to any natural movement of connective tissue I would think, as I can't retionalise that in mind.

Have you altered anything in your diet since, perhaps you made a change that coincided, and it might have been, you slightly reduced some sort of Vitamin or Mineral content in there.

For Vascular things, Minerals like Iron and Copper play their part, as does Vit C, an Iron booster. Also Calcium can in large amounts possibly affect Blood pathways, by I think causing some kind of hardening or stiffening action, I believe caused Calcification.

Maybe you might have to consider some kind of mobility exercises when you sit, like Ankle rotations, or mild Dorsi-flexion of the Ankles, I.E. movement up and down.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

in this image, right where the line is drawn to the intermediate dorsal cutaneous nerve is exactly where injury was and where it now twitches. Not all the time, but at random, I noticed it when I was sitting at the dinner table with legs up under the chair with foot crossed over the other, then I stretched it out in front of me and it subsided. As far as changes in diet...I can only say that I made some pretty bad food choices this week - perhaps a reaction to the depressive state I was in for not being able to run or workout. I know that is a sad excuse, one I'm not proud of. :cry:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

fitoverforty wrote: I noticed it when I was sitting at the dinner table with legs up under the chair with foot crossed over the other, then I stretched it out in front of me and it subsided.
That's one thing I suggested, so it could be compression of the Nerve by the other Foot, or compression of the part of the PNS, controlling electrical simulii to the Nerve, restricting the amount of stimulii it gets.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

thanks Boss, I've been doing the ankle rotations and flexing the foot up an down. It is alot better. I ran again today and had no problems, so I think it has all but subsided. I'm not wearing those running shoes anymore! thanks for your help :D
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

This symptom is common in those who cross their legs often when they sit. The most common area of compression is between the knee and ankle, however, can also be caused by hip impingment. Also try using a shoe insert with better arch support. Poor arch support, old shoes, flat feet, can all lead to injury.
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arvel75
STARTING OUT

Post by Arvel75 »

hi
First of all sorry to hear about your injury.
I advice you to take some rest and better consult some near by doctor.He shall physically examine it and then can better advice you in this regard.Hoping that you shall soon get rid of this twitching.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Lynne. No experience with that kind of thing... I hope it goes away soon with a little extra rest.
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

The symptoms of any injury-
Joint pain
Swelling
Weakness
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not quite. Some injuries will initiate some or all of those symptoms, but to say all those things happen together regardless of the circumstances, is not quite accurate :).