Weak in cardio, reasons why?

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ldsk
STARTING OUT

Weak in cardio, reasons why?

Post by ldsk »

Every time i try to do cardio- running/elliptical/treadmill- heart rate is way above both the fat burning or the cardio training zone range for age and weight, about 20bpm over. I get short of breath super easy too. I'm a young and fairly fit girl in an average weight range, I do a moderate workout maybe 4 or 5 times a week and am fairly active otherwise. I'm vegetarian and eat pretty healthily. But I've always had this problem with running/cardio, and it's becoming a real pain. I had a mild case of asthma as a kid and while I don't have "attacks" now, an inhaler sometimes helps chest relax when this happens. However, it doesn't make it go away entirely. Is asthma what could be causing problem? I haven't been diagnosed with it recently. Is there anything I can do about this? I try to "strengthen" cardio but even a light stuff shoots heart rate way up, it doesn't feel like I'm any different for trying. thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weak in cardio, reasons why?

Post by Boss Man »

Hello Idsk, nice to speak to you.

The asthma from the past might be triggering this issue perhaps.

Have you seen a doctor to have things like oxygen levels in the blood and lung function tested?
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Hi.

Did you get checked out with a doctor yet?
Everett
STARTING OUT

Post by Everett »

Cardio works out the heart which in turn requires oxygen consumption. It's possible that your cardio is triggering some residual effects of asthma you had as a kid.

i recommend that you check with a doctor before doing intense cardio. You can also adapt your workout to something different like yoga.
Roby2015
STARTING OUT

Post by Roby2015 »

I agree with the others - get checked by a dr to ensure there isn't other issues involved.

When I was younger I kept asthma at bay when I was on a swim team - swimming laps and learning to control the breath as well as hold it for longer periods of time I think helped me. Maybe try some breathing exercises - either meditation or yoga breath/movement combinations - I've been doing some basic Qi Gong breathing with basic movements and it seems to help me
Roby
Biscuits
STARTING OUT

Post by Biscuits »

How are you tracking your heart rate?