is walking good enough for obese?

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculargirl
VETERAN

is walking good enough for obese?

Post by musculargirl »

I know i've read on here that walking is adaptive. i walk on a path with some hills and because i'm overweight i have a heart rate around
125 - 133 with a max heart rate usually around 150 when i walk. do you think that is good enough for weight loss? I read that biking, swimming and walking are good for overweight people but????
musculargirl
VETERAN

Re: is walking good enough for obese?

Post by musculargirl »

I guess i'm wondering because i know it's not interval training.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The undulations should fluctuate heart rate reducing the ability for the Cardio to become adoptive, so in itself it's a form of interval training.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

okay boss good to know. :)
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

do you think i could swimming strokes not adaptive as well? Usually heart rate is probably 125 when swimming max heart rate 145. I change between the freestyle and backstroke so heart rate does slow down and speed up. Freestyle takes more work.

I guess the question leads to what kind of heart rate should you have for interval training?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Swimming can become adaptive in opinion, but you can overcome this in one of three ways.

Change the speed and / or stroke every week.

Change the speed and / or stroke every session.

Change the speed and / or stroke every length / width.

Max heart rate is commonly determined by using 220-age.

In th case of intervals it depneds on the intensity as to what will happen.

For general exercise, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 50% - 60%.

For fat burning, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 60% - 70%.

For stamina, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 70% - 80%.

For weight lifting, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 80% - 90%.

For hardcore weight lifting, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 90%+

These are at best a guide as heart rate can be affected by things like bloodflow, I.E. cholesterol deposits, Salt, Atheromas, Calcification, (arterial stiffening), Vasodilation of bloodvessels caused by Nitric Oxide, triggered by Arginine consumption and actual things that affect the heart like Caffeine, Valve problems, Ventricular stiffening etc, so these MHR ratings are a guide at best and many believe a Fat burning zone is pretty non-existent.

Training in a way that increases thermogenesis, could help to burn fat, so I wouldn't be too hung up about a heart rate when you train, unless it become erratic or feels more powerful than it normally would when you train, in which case seek a medical opinion.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Boss Man wrote:I wouldn't be too hung up about a heart rate when you train

I know I guess by having HR monitor now i'm thinking more about it. The only benefit to being heavy right now is i pretty much can do anything and I seem to be "in the zone." most of the time :lol: :lol:

Except deep water swim class and aqua jogging. That was a pretty low heart rate when i was in the class. Still might take the class once a week just for fun though.

Thanks!
fatman2011
STARTING OUT

Post by fatman2011 »

I think for a meanwhile, It's okay because an obese can possibly have a weak body because possibly it's body is has been long rested.
just take a walk, maybe for 2 weeks, and when you think you have the habit, maybe you may take to the next level, try to have a light jog and walk. to burn calories out.. and of course you must have a good balanced diet, so that as you burn calories you don't fill it up again. eat protein rich foods.. to build up muscles.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

walking... I used to think that walking was good for weight loss when you are obese. I was one of those who walked with friends around the ball field while the children played baseball. Every morning, a buddy would come by and we would walk for an hour after the kids went to school. Walking is well and good but that didnt' move the scale. And every one of those people I would walk with are still fat. Weight training helps more than walking. It helped me more than cardio. After getting stronger, I enjoyed cardio like activities more. Walking is good for the body especially the after dinner stroll, i think it helps with digestion. If someone is morbidly obese, walking as long as they can would be a good exercise, but just 'obese' I think needs a bit more than long walks
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Thanks patty and fatman I will keep that in mind. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Walking helps to lose weight upto a point, but without good caloric control and a goodly dose of weighs, its effectiveness alone cannot produce good weight loss results.

It is definitely worth it interms of getting started with Cardio, so you'rer ready to step up to stuff like intervals or jogging.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I think i will walk for a while longer and than increase it to run/walking. :)
lacespace
STARTING OUT

Post by lacespace »

There are so many benefits to walking no matter what your age or size is. When you become overweight it can be embarrassing to go to a gym or in public at all. This is a big contributing factor of why obese people don't start to their problem. Walking boosts feel good hormones and will be a natural encourager to walk again. You will need to walk for a few weeks to make it a habit. If you are able to get a treadmill then that sounds like the easiest way to get started to loose weight. I just bought one so I didn't have to walk in the cold. If you are interested here is a site that compares treadmills so you can find one that fits your price range http://www.treadmillcomparison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Good luck with your goal to start walking.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

lacespace wrote:There are so many benefits to walking no matter what your age or size is. When you become overweight it can be embarrassing to go to a gym or in public at all. This is a big contributing factor of why obese people don't start to their problem. Walking boosts feel good hormones and will be a natural encourager to walk again. You will need to walk for a few weeks to make it a habit. If you are able to get a treadmill then that sounds like the easiest way to get started to loose weight. I just bought one so I didn't have to walk in the cold. If you are interested here is a site that compares treadmills so you can find one that fits your price range http://www.treadmillcomparison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Good luck with your goal to start walking.
Thanks i already bought a treadmill actually just in time for winter. So i'm all set there. I've found a new love for winter. Incline walking on the treadmill!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Boss Man wrote:Max heart rate is commonly determined by using 220-age.
In th case of intervals it depneds on the intensity as to what will happen.
For general exercise, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 50% - 60%.
For fat burning, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 60% - 70%.
For stamina, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 70% - 80%.
For weight lifting, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 80% - 90%.
For hardcore weight lifting, target heart rate THR, is considered as MHR x 90%+
So boss for walking on incline with treadmill hr rate was up there maxing at 180 and i don't know what the ave was the treadmill hr monitor didn't tell me. :evil: but i think it was higher than walking this summer and maybe higher than when i run walk too. i'm thinking ave was 160?? I will wear monitor next time i go to see for sure. Is that good for weight loss? I"m 36.