Best cardio possible for Muay Thai

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

william19
STARTING OUT

Best cardio possible for Muay Thai

Post by william19 »

I want to get extremely good cardio. I am training for Muay Thai (similar to kickboxing but knees and elbows too).

Interval training 3 times per week (1:30 as fast as i can, 30 second break, I usually do 8 rounds in total, 4 in a row, a break and then the next 4)

Long run: 10 miles once a week

I also sometimes do a large amount of cardio in class (I.E 6 rounds of targets in a row, again 1:30 with 30 seconds rest)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Best cardio possible for Muay Thai

Post by Boss Man »

That looks fine to me.

However as an alternative, you could try to incorporate Interval stuff and mix it in with sprints. This could be done by jogging round a track for say 2 minutes 50 seconds, then go for a 10 second burst.

If you call that a 3 minute cycle, then you've got the option of 10 cycles in 30 minutes, or more than 10 if you're up to it.

It becomes an interval in itself, because unlike steady state, you're not plodding or propelling yourself along, at the same pace over the same terrain.

You may find the sprints reduce your jogging speed, if you start to feel a bit more fatigued working up to the latter sprint parts, in which case it will teach you to start jogging at a slightly slower cadence or tempo, so that combination of an over exuberant jogging pace, coupled with sprints, doesn't start to burn you out too soon, before the desired timeframe for your session is up, causing you to quit prematurely or just walk the rest of the time out.

So this might be an alternative to what you're doing, but on inspection, your current system looks pretty robust in relation to what you're doing, as there's evidence from it, of some good utilisation of slow and fast twitch fibres, so you seem to be getting a pretty good balance between stamina and speed I'd say..