Skipping rope... Is it high intensity?

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

badversion
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Skipping rope... Is it high intensity?

Post by badversion »

I am too busy to actually make time for run or walk so i was thinking skipping rope at home but doubt is.. It is high intensity? And any minimum time or Something?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Skipping rope... Is it high intensity?

Post by Boss Man »

Skipping is quite high intensity explosive momvement, but you can prolong it, by using a slower cadence, as the faster you go, you will obviously use energy quicker and tire more quickly as well.

What you could do is incorporate it in with other things like Burpees, Star Jumps, Spotty dogs, Mountain Climbers, Pendulum Swings, Jumping Jacks etc.
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Skipping rope... Is it high intensity?

Post by Tallgirll22T »

Jumping rope is actually lower impact than running. Of course, good old-fashioned walking is lower intensity than running or jumping. However, it is possible to make a jump rope routine more intense. You can incorporate intervals like jumping side to side and kicking out in front of you, or alternate curling your legs behind you. You can also just ditch the rope. You may be able to go faster if the rope isn't there slowing you down or tripping you up. I would shoot for about 20 minutes doing as high intensity jumping and skipping as you can.