Heart rate and calories while running on treadmill

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

coolvabs
STARTING OUT

Heart rate and calories while running on treadmill

Post by coolvabs »

Hi all!

I am a 33 from India height 172 cms / weight 73 kgs. I do cardio on treadmill for 15 minutes at 10 km/hr speed and I notice that heart rate is consistently between 165-170 bpm during the exercise. I have read that exercising at this heart rate for 15 minutes would burn close to 280-300 calories.

The problem is that the treadmills (or most of the websites) show that I would burn about 180 calories running at 10 km/hr for 15 minutes. So why is there such a big gap? Is heart rate too high or am I too unfit?

Can anyone share his/her experience on heart rate while running? Please help.

Vaibhav
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Heart rate and calories while running on treadmill

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Valibhav, good to talk to you.

The thing is most of these can only ever be a guide. The only way to be in any way accurate, would be to have the exact same daily diet and water intake and train at the same time every day, using the same machine settings, but you use a different manufacturers machine to compare results.

Your heart rate wouldn't be too high, as a basic indicator is 220-age for Max Heart Rate, (MHR).
Alena1
STARTING OUT

Re: Heart rate and calories while running on treadmill

Post by Alena1 »

From what I have read, most of the treadmills are set in such a way that they will indicate the absolute maximum that you can lose during that period. I think that the keyword there is ‘maximum intensity’. I think that this might be the discrepancy that you are talking about. Moreover, you have to keep in mind that the figures you see online are just estimates too.