is jumping rope enough?

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Sheppardmethod
STARTING OUT

is jumping rope enough?

Post by Sheppardmethod »

I recently started to jump rope to get some cardio in life. I don't run or really walk much, so I decided that I needed to get some movement in life. I have been jumping for the past week for about 5 minutes a day. I get pretty tired from this, but I feel it is only because I have not been doing any cardio exercises for a few years. Should I be doing more cardio or is this enough?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: is jumping rope enough?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Jason, good to talk to you.

If you want more stamina then yes more cardio will be required, as skipping is in part a type of explosive moment, because of the use of the arms, so your energy reserves will be taxed more quickly, compared to say something like stepper or treadmill, also because you need a minimum speed or the rope won't move properly, whereas something like treadmill could be done at practically a snails pace.

I would suggest another 30 minutes 2-3 times a week and perhaps do the skipping first, then tag on the cardio afterwards.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: is jumping rope enough?

Post by toddhicks209 »

Just five minutes of any exercise a day is not enough. You really need to exercise for at least 20 minutes. Try combining brisk walking for 20 to 30 minutes or more with five minutes of skipping rope.