Cardio Training Assistance (Speed and Endurance)

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

WannabeAthlete
STARTING OUT

Cardio Training Assistance (Speed and Endurance)

Post by WannabeAthlete »

(First off, I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a bit moody or dramatic, this just kind of blind-sided me.)

Well, I'm 13 and recently I got an arm-band to hold phone while I run so naturally I downloaded one of those fancy running apps so that I could track all distances, times and such. Until then I had been using the stop watch mode of dad's old, torn watch that couldn't fit him since. I run for 30 minutes down this trail that runs behind a nearby neighborhood (back and forth) taking walking breaks every other "mile" as I thought. From eyeing that trail I guessed that it was about a mile back and forth, and for the longest I was under the impression that I was running a 5:20ish mile. (I know it's far-fetched, but I really didn't want to see otherwise) However, as you may have guessed, this wasn't the case.

I went out today and stumbled through the parameters of the run and began, only to find out by the end of the run that I was actually running a 6:30ish mile. (I'll run another tomorrow and update the time if by some stoke of luck it changes) I really, really don't like this, especially after "running" miles of 5:20.

I'll go ahead and keep on testing this in denial, but can I get some assistance or recommendations of what I should be doing to get better mile times? I know I'm being vague here, but I'd like to break a 6 minute mile. I'm a bit confused by all these different articles (I'm just lazy) and it'd be nice if I could just get a more "personalized" plan here. I can't spend more than 2 hours on cardio during weekdays and if there's any cross-training involved I can't spend anymore than 2 hours on that as well... Well that's pretty useless, but.

Anyway, thank you, all recommendations are appreciated and such!
WannabeAthlete
STARTING OUT

Re: Cardio Training Assistance (Speed and Endurance)

Post by WannabeAthlete »

Also, let me know if there's any additional info needed.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi WA, good to talk to you.

Am I right in thinking the stop watch made you think you ran sub 6 minutes and the running app said over 6 minutes?
WannabeAthlete
STARTING OUT

Post by WannabeAthlete »

Correct, Boss Man. Thank you for the help, by the way.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd go with the stop watch reading then, not the app reading, because I feel there is a legitimate argument, to say you would get more accuracy off a more mechanical based measurement of the time, than a more synthetic, computerised measurement.

If you want better mile times then there are things you can do to better yourself.

1. Consider, instead of using water, using a basic energy drink like a powerade / gatorade type drink, not one of those fancy schmancy things with herbs and vitamins in it and less primary ingredient.

2. Build up your strength a bit.

3. Avoid caffeinated drinks. This is because caffeine blocks iron and your body uses iron to make erythrocytes, the oxygen carrying blood cells and also it is used to make myoglobin, a substance that stores iron in the muscles and ATP that helps muscles contract has oxygen bonds as well and less oxygen could promote more lactic acid production and a reduced VO2 max, the amount of oxygen used per minute based on a kg of mass.

Caffeine also constricts the blood vessels, so reduced oxygen to the brain, organs and muscles at a reduced rate, in belief is no good for athletic purposes.

Such issues would be negated to some extent if you only drank caffeinated beverages before and during runs, but never at any other time, but those types of drinks should still be avoided, I feel, to promote better oxygenation of the muscles, organs and brain.

4. You may need to increase calories. I'd suggest if you do, concentrate more on carbs and fats, particularly before the run, so however many meals you have before the run, increase the carbs and fats by 5g for carbs and 3-4g for fats, so your calories per meal would go up by 47-56 calories, but if you felt your protein was inadequate to build a bit more muscle with, then add another 5g to all daily meals on training and non-training days.

However I would say there would be no need to increase protein initially, until any gains stalled, as it could be a bit of a waste of the protein.