Is using the "hill" mode on a machine the same as

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Tredo
STARTING OUT

Is using the "hill" mode on a machine the same as

Post by Tredo »

Is it the same as interval training? I use an elliptical and it has a hill mode. It seems like a interval training mode. It goes to a high intensity, then to a short intensity, but as you progress, the high intensity level increases. If it's not, then how can you do interval training on a machine?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it can be a bit hard to do HIIT on treadmills as it takes time for speed and inclines to increase...i have most of clients do 10mins with 90secs easy followed by 30secs hard x 5 cycles...they start on level 2 incline...the slow is usually at 6 speed which is the slowest you can go without walking...obviously the 30secs is the highest level you can hold for 30secs...once 10 x 90/30 is reached at one speed, keep the incline the same and increase speed but keep slow portion the same so progress is made in "hard" interval...once top speed on the treadmill is reached then i would have them increase incline by 2 - 3 gradients and find their slowest speed again for that incline and repeat...to make ot work though you will need to start increasing speed DURING the rest period so that once 90secs is finished, you are already at your fast speed...make sense??
Tredo
STARTING OUT

Post by Tredo »

I see. Thanks.