Running Pains and Questions

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mini_008
STARTING OUT

Running Pains and Questions

Post by mini_008 »

I consider running on the treadmill to be the best form on cardio. However, it is painful for me on the calves. I wonder if I'm jogging right, I read somewhere that when you run you should always run on your toes and I always run on toes on the treadmill. This hurts calves a lot and causes pain long after the work out is over. I have started working out again like two weeks ago, this was a persistent problem even when I was working out regularly earlier. Please help, am I doing this right? should I be running on heels rather than the toes? I wouldn't like to give up on the run it's super effective. I also find the elliptical effective. total cardio is 25 mins everyday 6 days a week split between 15 mins on the treadmill (running + walking) and 10 mins on the elliptical with increased resistance.

I am running at the speed of 8.0 for 7 mins after 3 mins of warmup, for the last minute I run at 8.5. Then I walk for 8 mins. I have to walk to make the pain go away otherwise I can't move leg at all. I have to usually start with a walk then end with a 5 min walk at a minimum. I know I could do better speed and even sprinting, but, for the calf pain. Don't want to damage anything too fast :wink:

Please give me tips for managing cardio.

Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes you should run on the balls of your Feet, incase you get Shin Splints.

You may also need to consider things like Orthotics, or perhaps get yourself assesed.

You may be someone who isn't wearing the right sort of footwear for running, and it could depend on whether your Feet keep a Neutral style, or they Pronate, (Ankles rotate inwards), or they Supinate, (Ankles rotate outwards).

It could even be the footwear problem, not from the perspective of how your Ankles mobilise when you run, as I mentioned before, but simply the style, I.E. not cushioned enough, or too restrictive around the Toe area for example, or maybe a 1/2 size too small.

You might have a stretching issue as well. Not prepping properly, causing aggravation, or tightness of some or all of the Foot area.

You might have a tight Achillies Heel, and also an Achillies Heel issue can sometimes be symptomatic of Plantar Fasciitis, which means the Plantar, (the Fiberous tissue running between the Heel and Ball of the Foot), has become inflamed and can be painful.

This is not something you can just get over by going easy or light, as it can mean having to rest, Ice it, possibly even things like Cortisone, NSAIDS or other things to dissipate the pain, and assist recovery.

You may possibly be causing some kind of Tendonitis, which means one or more Tendons in the front of the Foot, become inflamed, particularly around the sheath, and this may also require things like NSAIDS, Cortisone, and in extreme circumstances a Tendonectomy, where part of the Tendon or Tendons affected is removed surgically.

You may be causing yourself something like Myositis, (Muscle inflammation), or Myalgia, (Muscle pain), possibly a trapped Nerve, (usually associated with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome), in which case you could get your doctor to run an NCV, (Nerve Conduction Velocity Test), to assess the electrical firing of the Nerve, and see if there is any impedence of function.

So the bottom line is, you may have a pre-existing problem, or be causing a problem, by persistant issues relating to running fotwear, or style, so I would say, you need to get some professional advice about footwear choice, and possibly think of consulting a Doctor, just to rule out any issues with Tendons, Connective Tissues etc etc, where a pre-existing minor problem, may only be flaring up in certain circumstances, I.E. if your running intensity or duration, create tolerance levels too great and that triggers the issue.
mini_008
STARTING OUT

Post by mini_008 »

Wow those are a lot of serious problems. I don't have the wrong footwear for sure. It's got the right cushioning. I just found out the problem was with posture, it is recommended to run on your heels here - http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=pEFEIDtjd ... re=channel I'm going to try this today, if this does not work I will keep you posted and get myself checked as well.

Thanks a lot. Any tips for cardio?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I don't know why that video says that. I didn't get chance to look at it, because a lot of people who run on the Heels can get Shin Splints, and not necessarily down to poor footwear choice.

The jarring on the Heels particularly on hard surfces like Roads, can contribute to S S.

So you need to be aware of this, because should you decide to switch to a heel based running style, and not a ball based running style, you might trigger off S S, and then you'll be using the RICE method, possibly for a few weeks rather than days.
mini_008
STARTING OUT

Post by mini_008 »

What is RICE?
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

I could not disagree with the woman in the video more. Heel strike is a huge cause of injury and it's also inefficient. Pick up a book called Chi Running. It's all about good running form. You shouldn't literally run on your toes, but more of your weight should land in the ball of your feet. The muscles of your lower legs and ankles should be relaxed, not tensed up.

And I totally agree with Bossman!!
mini_008
STARTING OUT

Post by mini_008 »

Thanks a lot for the good advice guys, I tried a little bit to run on the heels today and it hurt even worse :( So lessons learned I will now run on the balls of feet which I am doing. Will keep you posted, I'm stretching now after the run so it's going great and no pain today. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Rest

Ice, (about 4x a day for 15 minutes)

Compression, (with a cold sponge, or cloth something like that)

Elevation, (keep the Foot elevated to avoid compressing it on the floor, and aggrevating the pain, or hindering recovery time).

This can often need to be done, for people with things like Shin Splints, possibly Plantar Fasciitis, Tendonitis in the foot, or types of Podiatry Myositis or Myalgia. Basically some of the things I outlined above.

You don't at present need to use the RICE method in opinion, but without correction of your current ruunning methods, you might need to at some point in the future, and depending on other outcomes, may need things like NSAIDS, surgery, etc etc.

Road running can also be a begger on the Knees long-term, as can a lot of sports, played intensely for many years.