Would Doing This Reduce Carbs and Sugar Cravings?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Would Doing This Reduce Carbs and Sugar Cravings?

Post by TechnicGeek »

Hi,

I heard that in the morning we have high cortisol levels and should not consume carbs and sugar. It seems to me if we do, we get cravings for them throughout the day. I know I do which affects productivity and daily agenda. I noticed I tend to go to take something out of refrigerator a few times per hour and this distracts me from work. Eventually it can make me feel lethargic and drowsy so I am less likely to do complex tasks and rather go to Facebook. In other words I become reactive (lazy *** mode) from active (survival mode)

I was wondering if drinking pure water would help after consuming carbs and sugar-based stuff. It would clean tastebuds from residue of carbs and sugar and reduce craving further. Maybe cleaning tongue with special cleaner or toothbrush and rinsing mouth with tap water would even prevent cravings.

This was something that suddenly popped into mind that I thought I should ask about here. Thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Would Doing This Reduce Carbs and Sugar Cravings?

Post by Boss Man »

I have never heard that about cortisol. Cortisol has the ability to aid fat gain, because I believe it damages protein strands and then if you lose muscle your metabolism is negatively affected permitting more fat gain.

However carbs are recommended in the morning to elevate blood sugar back up and to fuel the brain and help with concentration.

The things you described are all worth a shot, certainly to reduce mouth bacteria and improve teeth cleaning, but in terms of what you're talking about there may be a chance it might help and certainly can't harm to do any of those things I don't think.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:However carbs are recommended in the morning to elevate blood sugar back up and to fuel the brain and help with concentration.
I try to avoid consuming carbs in the morning and any other food. I choose ground coffee without sugar with added teaspoon of MCT coconut oil. This allows me to have consistent focus, clear thinking and forget not only about food but cravings that I usually get some had I consumed something else in the morning. MCT directly goes to liver which easily turns it into energy that goes to brain. Several seconds after consuming MCT oil I start feeling loss of hunger. The more I wait until coffee I noticed, the more I get hungry and sometimes coffee would not be enough to satisfy hunger so the sooner after morning exercise I take it, the more likely I would last until noon without food.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That is true that MCT's convert to energy in the liver which is a good thing, as do SCT's, it's only the long chain that end up in the arteries.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:That is true that MCT's convert to energy in the liver which is a good thing, as do SCT's, it's only the long chain that end up in the arteries.
Interesting. Well, no wonder why I don't feel dizzy and drowsy after consuming MCT oil as there is no digestion involved...
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well there should be some digestion, because the MCT's would need to be acted on by lipases, bile, stomach acid and gastric juices present in the digestive system, as the body would need to do any appropriate things to the MCT's to ready them for assimilation to the area(s) of the body where they would be needed.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Here's what I meant:
Unlike other fats, MCT oil does not go through the lymphatic system. Instead, it is transported directly to the liver where it is metabolized so it releases energy like a carbohydrate and creates lots of ketones (which can be used for fuel) in the process.
It's taken from this article.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Be wary of scholarly articles posted on sites with online shops as sometimes it can be a case of what they don't tell you rather than what they do.

In this case there doesn't appear to be anything to be skeptical about, but that isn't always the case :).
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

I believe that MCT oil is digested differently than normal food because of how I feel in the morning when drinking it with coffee versus eating something. I try to drink it soon before stomach fills with acid due to hunger. If I delay more, I won't feel like drinking coffee and will grab something to eat. It will be more enjoyable and possibly healthy but at the expense of gained lethargy, drowsiness, loss of focus and productivity.

I will soon be doing testing for hypoglycemia by doctor's recommendation.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:I have never heard that about cortisol. Cortisol has the ability to aid fat gain, because I believe it damages protein strands and then if you lose muscle your metabolism is negatively affected permitting more fat gain.

However carbs are recommended in the morning to elevate blood sugar back up and to fuel the brain and help with concentration.
Here is where I read that carbs are not recommended in the morning due to high cortisol levels: http://turnaroundfitness.com/3-powerful ... ld-muscle/

Are you familiar with this bodybuilder?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I've never heard of him and he looks like he's saying this stuff to promote things, which makes me feel a bit skeptical.

Consuming carbs for Breakfast helps with concentration and helps to increase your blood sugar back up to normal levels.

If you train on empty, you risk dizzy spells and a past member of this site trained people that way for a while and can attest to that sentiment.

It's about not overdoing it on the carbs, but feel free to consume them with your breakfast if you want, as people who eat carb sources for breakfast do lose weight and can when they do everything else right, lose all the weight they want and I doubt that trainer can find peer reviewed science that proves eating carbs for breakfast will stop 100% of people looking to lose weight from losing it all.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:If you train on empty, you risk dizzy spells and a past member of this site trained people that way for a while and can attest to that sentiment.
I was compulsive at one period of time with idea about exercising on an empty or 1/4 full stomach because I assumed I would lose weight faster. I didn't feel dizzy but I understand that I was living under illusion and risked health. idea established itself in mind good enought that I was not seeking to verify it outside. This with added fact that I often overexercised taught me that before assuming I should always consult either dietitian or hire a personal trainer (money for which I don't have...)
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

If you're planning to exercise in the morning carbs are beneficial. I prefer to carb backload... so pretty much eat fat and protein all day until pre and post workout. That way they are best utilized. I find that if I start the day with carbs I get sugar cravings... fat keeps me full.