Mayonnaise replacement?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

MissJenaKay
REGULAR

Mayonnaise replacement?

Post by MissJenaKay »

Hello all!

So, I've known for a long while that mayonnaise is NOT good for you. I really like I keep getting people that I should replace mayo with mustard because it's healthier. One problem: I hate mustard. :shock: Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for mayo that isn't mustard??

Thanks, Lovelies.

Jena Kay
Last edited by MissJenaKay on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Re: Mayonnaise replacement?

Post by cassiegose »

MissJenaKay wrote:Hello all!

So, I've known for a long while that mayonnaise is NOT good for you. I really like I keep getting people that I should replace mayo with mustard because it's healthier. One problem: I hate mustard. :shock: Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for mayo that isn't mustard??

Thanks, Lovelies.

Jena Kay
You hate mustard? WHAT!?! Thats it!!! We cannot be friends!!! :mrgreen:

Just kidding.... :)

Allison provided great advice. They have some healthier versions of mayo out there that might work for you. As for the calories/fat in mayo you know considering how low your calories are Jena you might not be too bad off just keeping it in as you really don't want to take your calories any lower than they currently are. only thing against mayo is that I believe its pretty high in saturated fat.
MissJenaKay
REGULAR

Post by MissJenaKay »

cassiegose wrote: You hate mustard? WHAT!?! Thats it!!! We cannot be friends!!! :mrgreen:

Just kidding.... :)

Allison provided great advice. They have some healthier versions of mayo out there that might work for you. As for the calories/fat in mayo you know considering how low your calories are Jena you might not be too bad off just keeping it in as you really don't want to take your calories any lower than they currently are. only thing against mayo is that I believe its pretty high in saturated fat.
Ha ha. Thanks. I needed a little chuckle today. :D
" only thing against mayo is that I believe its pretty high in saturated fat." That's the only reason I wanted to replace mayo, I just wanted to find an alternative that had healthier fats in it.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Have you considered making an Avocado Butter for a sandwich spread? It is made with extra virgin olive oil. I think it is a great alternative to mayo...and it is made with healthy fats.
Recipe:
* 2 ripe avocados
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional - I don't think it needs it)
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Cut avocados in half. Scoop pulp into a food processor or blender.

Add lime juice and next 4 ingredients; process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. With processor running, pour oil in a slow, steady stream through food chute; process until smooth. Chill 1 hour. Makes about 1 and 1/4 cups.

It can also be used as a topping for broiled chicken, fish, veggie dip, etc.

Sound good?
MissJenaKay
REGULAR

Post by MissJenaKay »

fitoverforty wrote:Have you considered making an Avocado Butter for a sandwich spread? It is made with extra virgin olive oil. I think it is a great alternative to mayo...and it is made with healthy fats.
Recipe:
* 2 ripe avocados
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional - I don't think it needs it)
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Cut avocados in half. Scoop pulp into a food processor or blender.

Add lime juice and next 4 ingredients; process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. With processor running, pour oil in a slow, steady stream through food chute; process until smooth. Chill 1 hour. Makes about 1 and 1/4 cups.

It can also be used as a topping for broiled chicken, fish, veggie dip, etc.

Sound good?
I LOVE avocados, so that sounds absolutely delicious. Only one problem, avocados are expensive here. Why? I don't know, but compared to other places I've seen them, the price for them is outrageous.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

I like avocado too. Even just a 1/4 of an avocado mixed in with tuna, or smeared onto a piece of bread will work.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

i use greek plain yogurt with a squeze of lemon juice for things like chicken salad
rattlehead1986
STARTING OUT

Post by rattlehead1986 »

Ever thought about homemade mayo? It's not hard at all to make it yourself, about 10min to throw it all together. Some may look at it as still not being healthy. But by homemaking it it won't have all those additives that big companies throw into their stuff. There's good recipes on the internet you can find and you can constumize the recipe yourself if you want a spicy mayo, sour mayo, whatever mayo. Pretty much any too much of one thing is unhealthy so just keep track of your portion size.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Athene wrote: Even just a 1/4 of an avocado mixed in with tuna, or smeared onto a piece of bread
Is it just me, or does something you can eat not sound healthy, when described with the word "smeared" :wink: