How about eggs!

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ryanwrthls
STARTING OUT

Re: How about eggs!

Post by ryanwrthls »

Hey guys --

The majority of the cholesterol found in our bodies is MADE INSIDE THE BODY. Very little of dietary cholesterol actually makes it into cells. That's why the "statin" drugs are so useful for lowering LDL cholesterol. The mechanism of action is that they act on the actual DNA strand to stop/slow production of the enzyme that converts fatty acids to cholesterol.

Just for clarity...

LDL ("bad cholesterol" -- low density lipoprotein) is a protein found in the blood that transports cholesterol from the liver to body tissues). It's labeled as "bad" because it's the protein that deposits cholesterol all around the body when there's too much. It has very little to do with your actual cholesterol intake, and more with your saturated fat intake.

HDL ("good cholesterol" -- high density lipoprotein) is a protein found in the blood that transports cholesterol TOWARDS the liver FROM the body tissues. In other words, it "cleans up" the extra cholesterol laying around your body and coating the insides of arteries. The reason it's "good" is because it helps to remove the excess cholesterol from the periphery.

Now, these two proteins are physically interchangeable -- what I mean is, HDL arrives in the liver to unload cholesterol for metabolism. It's size changes and a cellular tag is placed on the surface, now labeling it as LDL (the "density" part, whether it's high or low, just depends on chemical properties of the proteins)

When there are too many fats coming into the liver from the diet, the creation of cholesterol in the liver increases, thereby forcing an increase in LDL (to deposit this cholesterol away from the liver). This mechanism helps in short term survival after heavy meals (via evolution -- if the cavemen didn't have this mechanism after eating a buffalo, they'd all die of acute fatty liver and we would have been extinct by now).

So, that's the gist of LDL and HDL, I hope it makes a little sense, and I hope it makes things a little bit clearer for everyone!

Ryan :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good points. I posted a sticky about Cholesterol some time back.

Basically LDL below 100mg's is fine. HDL above 40mg's is fine and total below 200mg's is normally fine.
jethross34
STARTING OUT

Post by jethross34 »

Eggs in not that bad, you just need to limit your cholesterol intake since eggs(large eggs) has 213 mg of cholesterol and all of these cholesterol are found on yolks. Or if you are really craving with eggs just take the yolks out and leave the whites. Don't worry one egg a day cannot affect your daily fitness. :D
Robertos
STARTING OUT

Post by Robertos »

Eggs are the best source of protein and it is the best ever thing to eat in breakfast and no more food can be compared with eggs in breakfast.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hemp and Soybeans have a better concentration of Protein than Eggs.

Eggs are around 18%, same as beef. Hemp is 25% and Soybeans are 33%, which is the highest in nature I believe.

That's not to say I'm disparaging Eggs, or saying people should suddenly start eating Soybeans for Breakfast, though in itself there's nothing wrong with it, unless you've got a Soy allergy, but Eggs are technically not the best for Protein.
Bustah
STARTING OUT

Post by Bustah »

So what is an ok amount of eggs? There are days when I will eat 4 regular sized eggs in breakfast, and I do this probably three times a week. Is that to many?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No that's fine. Omega 3 Eggs, (Chickens fed Flax), would be better, although having 4 Yolks in one day shouldn't be an issue, as many claim dietary cholesterol has little correlation with Blood Cholesterol, though normal Eggs do have roughly a 60 / 40, LDL / HDL ratio.

If you're concerned limit to 1-2 Yolks with 4 whites.

I just said Eggs are not the best for Protein, as Hemp and Soy have higher concentrations that's all.
Jentry07
STARTING OUT

Post by Jentry07 »

I was told eggs have more HDL than LDL cholesterol and are not linked to high cholesterol problems. I eat 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites every morning and have yet to see a negative health effect from them. I think as long as you are limiting the yolk intake, you should be just find to continue consuming eggs!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

As far as I was aware, it's a 60 / 40 LDL / HDL ratio roughly.

However Omega 3 Eggs, (Chickens fed some Flax), contain mostly Omega fat in the Yolks, in fact I'm pretty certain there is no cholesterol at all, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The other difference I'm aware of is about 1g Carbs versus 0g in normal Eggs, as Flax does contain carbs.
jared767
STARTING OUT

Post by jared767 »

" Many of us misunderstand what actually the cholesterol is.Cholesterol is a waxy steroid metabolite found in the cell membranes and transported in the blood plasma of all animals.It is required by our body in some amount.Egg is rich in protein and healthy so some body told you wrong there is no medical proof behind this claim."

Amen! Exactly what I was thinking while reading through...
splashangel
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by splashangel »

I LOVE eggs! I eat them every day. At least 1 a day but often more. I eat one on oatmeal every morning. If I am feeling kinda snacky I'll fry one and that usually takes care of it. I eat veggie omelets for dinner fairly often.( 2 eggs one yolk) Yea, I eat alot of eggs.