Coconut oil

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

splashangel
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Coconut oil

Post by splashangel »

I have started useing it now for about 2 weeks. I was listening to a podcast the other day and they said olive oil gives off poison toxins when you cook with it.( :shock: ) I had been hearing good stuff on coconut oil for demensia, so I started giving it to gramaw and now am cooking with it also. But it's saturated? ( :? )What should I be useing?
jared767
STARTING OUT

Re: Coconut oil

Post by jared767 »

I believe that coconut oil is the healthiest oil around. As far as I know, the saturated fat contained on coconut oil is one that's different from others because of its fat molecules. Anyway, just read about it here http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
splashangel
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by splashangel »

Thanks for the read. I have read a little on it but mostly on it's benefits for alzeimers. Although grandmother has demensia I thought just maybe..... I was amazed at the long list of health benefits. I love cooking with it much better than olive oil. Again, Thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Coconut Oil contains the MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides), Lauric Acid, Capric Acid and Capryllic Acid. They convert to energy in the Liver and don't generally store as .

C A should not be confused with Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, sometimes used in Ice Cream production.

It's important to remember as well with Coconut Oil, not to be fooled by Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, as I believe, unlike Extra Virgin Olive Oil, EVCO is not a trademarked name, but merely a marketing gimmick and if I'm correct, EVCO is still a product on sale and has not been banned.

Olive Oil could give off toxins when heated, but you'd need to exceed the "smoke point".

Smoke points vary from fat to fat, which means when the smoke point is breached, the fat converts into a toxic substance, that could increase Cancer risk.

Olive Oil is at the high end of the smoke point scale, so should on most occasions be safe to cook with, but if you're concerned don't cook with it, especially if you're cooking something with a very prolonged cooking time.

Flaxseed Oil however is one of the worst, so avoid cooking with that.

Many of good ones as I recall, are saturate sources like Butter and Lard.

You can find smoke point lists on the net fairly easily.