What food/drink keeps you full for the majority of the day?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kitson
STARTING OUT

What food/drink keeps you full for the majority of the day?

Post by kitson »

I love to eat! I play tennis which keeps me in shape, but i eat a lot as well. For breakfast i eat 2 eggs with toast and oatmeal, but im hungry like an hour later. And it's the same for everything else I've tried.
Is there any drink or specific food that has kept you full for a while?
zenphitness
STARTING OUT

Re: What food/drink keeps you full for the majority of the day?

Post by zenphitness »

Food rich in protein generally tend to keep us full longer. Do you typically work out in the morning after breakfast? Water consumption is also an important factor. There are a number of physiological reasons why, but even slight dehydration can make us feel hungry. Stress can make us feel hungry too. One of the things that I am working on doing is just listening to what body is trying to tell me a little bit more. If you are hungry there is definitely nothing wrong with eating, and you should eat. Especially if you are very active you need the nutrition to support your lifestyle.

I like to think of food as a drug. Each specific thing you eat has its own unique biochemical reaction with your own unique body chemistry. That is why some people can eat certain things and be fine, while someone else who eats that same thing may get sick, get fat, or just not like it. Once you start to see food this way and learn how your body reacts to certain foods, and how you listen to what it needs, it is easy to eat what you need, when you need it, and everything you eat is enjoyable and balanced.

http://www.zenphitness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

The above reply is awesome!

I was going to say: eat more protein and vegetables. For example, for breakfast you could replace 2 eggs with toast and oatmeal with 3-4 eggs and 2 cups of steamed broccoli, or put whatever veggies you have with the eggs and make an omelette. You can also add healthy fat to your diet to help you feel full longer and absorb all of the nutrients in your food better - you could take a fish oil pill, or eat a few nuts with each meal (eg. 6 or 7 cashews or almonds, or 3 macadamia nuts). It really does take some experimentation to figure out what will work for you, good luck!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Chances are it could be the protein intake. Oatmeal with milk instead of Water might help, if it tasted okay, because two Eggs are not that protein rich, even big ones are only 16g Protein, so it might be as well to experiment wiht Breakfast and see what works.

You could instead of having more Eggs, try Low Fat Cheese, or some Ham, Chicken, Turkey etc and see what works best, as it might just require the added Protein not a change to the toast and / or oatmeal, so tinker with a specific element and if that doesn't work make one additional alteration a day, until you find what works.

If you try something that doesn't work, making one change at a time isolates the effect of the change, which is better.
sames
STARTING OUT

Post by sames »

I like to eat vegetable soup! I make it with fresh vegetables and without salt and then I eat the soup including all the vegetables and herbs, and it makes me very full ;) I don't need much to eat after a bowl of a soup.
I heard that some people cannot realize if they are hungry or thirsty, therefore they just start eating although drinking would be the better option!
lalandica
STARTING OUT

Post by lalandica »

The very first thing I do in the morning is take vitamins with a huge glass of water. Maybe about 20 minutes or so later I'll have something like a soy protein shake which I make with soy protein, soy milk, kale, a few grapes, and a little bit of spirulina powder. Honestly, I feel like I'm going to pop after that, I don't really get hungry again for a few hours and even then it's really just for snack food like an apple or something. Fiber + Protein = Super Full for body. If you're looking for something more lunch/dinner'y I would try turkey chili, the beans are very filling.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Beans in general are a great all rounder for Protein, fibre, antioxidents, Calcium, Copper, Selenium, Iron, B vits etc.

You can't lose :).
lalandica
STARTING OUT

Post by lalandica »

I love me some kidney beans :)
flatstomachguru
STARTING OUT

Post by flatstomachguru »

I love raw nuts. No added oil or salt. I have an small airtight container which I fill with brazil nuts and pecan nuts. If I'm feeling hungry I have a mouthful of nuts and it will keep me full for hours. There have been several interesting studies [see one from Harvard below] which have found that eating nuts aid weight loss because they make you feel full, thus controlling your appetite.

http://www.health.harvard./healthbea ... lthy-treat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Harvard should be intelligent enough to know Peanuts are Legumes, so -1 for that mistake Harvard :wink:

Most Nuts however are low Carb, except for ones like Cashews, Groundnuts and Chestnuts and possibly Coconuts, which register on a glycemic index, though most don't because the carbs are too low to be bothering with.
probodyfitnessuk
STARTING OUT

Post by probodyfitnessuk »

Omega 3,6,9 supplements help with making you feel fuller. That is why nuts and other foods that contain healthy fats also make you feel fuller for longer. A meal that is protein rich, which also contained healthy fats will keep you fuller for longer and help control blood sugar,...enjoy :D