Anniversary Goal

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Athene
REGULAR

Re: Anniversary Goal

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:I don't understand why the Nurse would have said what she did. If you think about it, look at something like Salmonella. It gets killed by heating the Egg. Cooking in general kills bacteria, so why would the human body start overheating your internal environment, unless it was the virus causing the Hypothalamus to screw up it's termperature control?

Surely it would be the bodies response to the virus / pathogen and an atttempt stop it spreading or getting worse.

The other way of looking at it is if heating your body made it worse, wouldn't making yourself cold have the opposite effect and kill the viruses? However, how many people would reccomend you trying to make yourself cold to kill viruses? You're reccomended things like keeping warm, having hot drinks etc.

Your friend may be right in what she says, but I don't understand if she is, why she would be, because I'm not seeing it, or missing something obvious.
I see your logic, that's why I was surprised too. nurse friend is really reliable - he's smart, and he graduated really recently and is gainfully employed, so I would be pretty shocked if he just pulled the theory out of his ear, or if it was a contentious issue and he didn't present both sides.
musculArgirl2 wrote: That's interesting. Kind of true for a lot of things probably? They always say don't talk about something till it happens otherwise you kind of jinx yourself?? It's probably true.
I don't know! I've only successfully lost weight here, so I don't know... it's something to ponder I guess.
Athene
REGULAR

April 3, 2012

Post by Athene »

I can't believe I missed so many days! I've been really sick with this head cold. I slept for 16 hours on Sunday - 16 hours in a row. I can't remember the last time I did that. Anyway, everything has been fine, I just haven't been training. I'm medicated, and going back to training tomorrow (insert 5 million exclamation marks), I'm so pumped!

Oh yeah and I tried low fat cheese today - great recommendation Boss! I had 27 g of protein after work in cheese-format, and loved it. Nice to switch it up from cottage cheese, eggs, tuna, and chicken, I needed something new in the mix. I also tried to eat more greens than fruit today, and it felt pretty good. Usually it's the other way around for me, 1 serving of veggies, and a ton of fruit, when I know it should be the other way around.

Training
--Sick Day #6--

Nutrition
9:00 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp honey, 500 ml coffee with 2% milk
12:00 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 1 grapefruit
3:30 PM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 3 cups green salad, 2 tbsp vinegarette, 9 almonds
7:00 PM - 90 g light Montery Jack cheese, 1 apple, 4 cups green salad, 2 tbsp vinegarette, 9 almonds
10:00 PM - 3 eggs, 2 cups spinach, 1/4 cup mozza/cheddar blend
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The only other thing I can think of visa vie the working out making colds worse, is if it elevated the body temperature and possibly negatively affected the levels of white virus fighting cells like T Cells, B Cells, Phagocytes and Macrophages.

Frusit is beneficial but Veggies and Legumes can be more nutrient dense, expecially things like Broccoli and Beans, plus Fruits can contain simple Sugars like Fructose, certainly in the case of things like Oranges and veggies can often be more fiberous I think.

However fruit should in no way be disparaged as many veggies and Legumes can cause Salyc acid intolerance to people with such things though some people can be fructose intolerant and Grapefruit can interfere with certain types of medication, so all three things can be an issue to some people, but thne anything can really, including, nuts, Soy, Dairy Wheat etc, so it's a case of weighing up the benefits and working from there.
Athene
REGULAR

April 5, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss: Thanks for the info! I took an extra day off (1 week off in total), am still using Cold FX, and am feeling much better. I asked a physician, and he said that the hormonal response from working out is actually what creates a beneficial environment for the virus, not body temperature. Interesting, hey? It seems like everything is about hormones.... weight gain (insulin), glucagon (using energy stores), mood/mindset, and even whether you get sick or not.

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull-up/squat/push-up/sit-up
WOD - 100 GHD sit-ups for time
Flexibility - abs, quads, calves, hips

Nutrition
8:30 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp honey, 500 ml coffee
11:30 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 1 grapefruit
3:00 PM - 1 tin hardwood smoked oysters, 4 cups green salad, 2 tbsp vinegarette, 9 almonds
7:00 PM - 4 egg omelet with 2 cups fresh spinach, 1/4 cup shredded mozza/cheddar, 1/3 cup cooked oatmeal (Not paleo, but I did it anyway)
9:00 PM - 1 70% dark chocolate bar (whole thing)
10:00 PM - 500 ml herbal tea
Athene
REGULAR

April 6, 2012

Post by Athene »

It feels so good to be training again! Woohoo! I'm going to get back to logging meals every day now that the craziness is over. I haven't weighed myself and I'm kind of afraid to, so I'm going to put it off. I have been cheating a lot, as log shows, and I have fallen away from logging every day, so I'm looking forward to getting back to that. I feel like it's always promises, promises with me on this thing. Oh well, I'm working on it :?

I had brunch with family today for Easter weekend and ate tons of pleasure food, and broke all of rules. I only have 15 weeks and 1 day left, and I think I'm back at square 1, or even further behind - minus square 1! I'm going to think about how I'm going to conceptualize the next week, maybe making a goal for Week 5 will help? I'll think about that for tomorrow, Day 1 of Week #5.

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: 10 pull ups/squats/push ups/sit ups
WOD - Ring push-ups, ring rows, broad jumps over a 12'' box, GHD hip extensions = 20-20-15-15-10-10 rep rounds for time
Flexibility - abs, hips, quads, hams, calves, shoulders, chest

Nutrition
11:00 AM - Family brunch: 2 eggs, 2 waffles with butter and syrup, fruit, ham, coffee, cheesecake
3:00 PM - More cheesecake, 1 can ginger ale
7:00 PM - 1 can tuna, 1/2 cup antipasto (tomato sauce, green and black olives, pearl onions, beans)
9:00 PM - 1 grapefruit
Athene
REGULAR

April 7, 2012

Post by Athene »

I decided that in Week #5 I am going to very strict for 1 week: no grains whatsoever (in keeping with paleo goal), and no cheat meal until Saturday. I'm still really sick, but it's more of a sinus/headache/congestion thing. This cold keeps changing on me and it's lasting forever. I'm sleeping more and still taking a lot of medication, but I'm back to training, which feels good. I think having a 1-week goal will keep me focused.

:arrow: Weight today is 160.2 lbs, so I'm back at square 1, 5 lbs behind in the Anniversary Goal. This means immediate goal is to lose the 5lbs so I'm on track.

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull up/squat/push up/sit up
WOD - A. Max box jump, B. Max distance in 8 minutes on the recumbent bike
Flexibility

Nutrition
9:00 AM - 250 ml 2% milk, doubleshot espresso
12:00 PM - 250 g Greek yogurt, 4 cups broccoli slaw, 2 tbsp vinegarette
3:00 PM - 250 g Greek yogurt, 1 grapefruit
7:30 PM - 3 oz roasted chicken, 3 cups broccoli, 1/4 cup hummus
10:00 PM - 2 handfuls trailmix (nuts, raisins), 500 ml herbal tea
Athene
REGULAR

April 8, 2012

Post by Athene »

Happy Easter! I hope everyone is having a nice spring so far. Today was a strange day, I got up at 8:00 AM and couldn't stay awake, so I took some decongestants and went back to bed for an hour or two... and woke up at 4:30 PM. What?! I guess I really am tired. nutrition is going to look funny today, because I only had time to eat 2 meals, but I had an opportunity to not let myself down: husband wanted to get Cadbury Cream Egg McFlurries from McDonalds, and I had a coffee and a decogestant pill instead ;) Not like me to "miss out" on something seasonal and celebratory like that, but it felt good to stick the goal I set only this morning.

I subscribe to some twitter feeds that keep me motivated, and there have been some good ones over the past few days. They help me think about daily actions and how what I do every day is important, not what I do once in a while, or what I think about.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"Excellence is not a singular act but a habit. You are what you do repeatedly." -Shaquille O'Neal (pretty sure he re-phrased Aristotle's quote, but I think it's still good)

"You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." -Michael Jordan

"If we do not change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed." -Chinese Proverb

Training
-- Rest Day --

Nutrition
5:30 PM - 4 oz wild salmon filet (baked), 1.5 cups stirfried broccoli and carrots, 1 grapefruit
8:30 PM - 500 ml black coffee, 90 g low fat cheddar (36 g pro), 1 apple
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:If we do not change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed."
Like that!

It does feel good to stick to goals!! Although i didn't stick to any goals over easter. :( It's nice that you were able too! sleeping from 8 to 4:30 yuck! :shock: I don't like sleeping that long during the day and it's been a very long time since i was able too do that!! sounds like you needed it though. :)
Athene
REGULAR

April 9, 2012

Post by Athene »

Glad you liked that one, Becky :) Oversleeping usually feels TERRIBLE for me too, but I slept like a log and felt much better when I woke up. I'm trying to listen to body and do what it wants, but sometimes it really messes things up! I made myself get up today so that I would be able to sleep tonight.

Training
--Rest Day--

Nutrition
12:00 PM - 3 oz roasted chicken, 1 grapefruit, 3 macademias
5:00 PM - 3 oz roasted chicken, 4 cups broccoli slaw, 9 almonds, 3 tbsp vinegarette, 500 ml coffee with cream
8:00 PM - 3 eggs, 2 cups fresh spinach, 1/4 cup shredded mozza/cheddar
9:00 PM - 1 apple, 3 tbsp peanut butter
12:00 AM - Whey Shake
Athene
REGULAR

April 10, 2012

Post by Athene »

I weighed myself this morning and I was 158 lbs, go figure. I don't really understand how I can be 162 lbs one day and 158 the next, but I guess I was on an empty stomach this morning and hadn't had any water to drink yet. Knowing this made me feel like cheating at night, but I kept it to a minimum with the sweet potato. I hate brain sometimes.

Training
Warm Up: 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each; pull ups/squats/push ups/sit ups
WOD: 6-round tabata intervals of each exercise: squat/box jump/ring dip/pull up/kettlebell swing
Flexibility

Nutrition
8:30 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 1 grapefruit, 500 ml black coffee
12:00 PM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 4 cups broccoli slaw, 2 tbsp vinegarette
3:00 PM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 4 cups broccoli slaw, 2 tbsp vinegarette
7:00 PM - 30 g low fat cheddar
10:00 PM - 1 Basa filet, 4 cups green salad, 9 almonds, 2 tbsp vinegarette
11:00 PM - 1 small sweet potato (baked)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote: weighed myself this morning and I was 158 lbs, go figure. I don't really understand how I can be 162 lbs one day and 158 the next, but I guess I was on an empty stomach this morning and hadn't had any water to drink yet. Knowing this made me feel like cheating at night, but I kept it to a minimum with the sweet potato. I hate brain sometimes.
Brains work in a funny way don't they! :D

ate really healthy yesterday!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

:cry:
Athene wrote:I am going to very strict for 1 week: no grains whatsoever (in keeping with paleo goal)
I've tried going Paleo and do follow it but not exclusively - there are foods that I eat that are not paleo. On your paleo diet I see you are allowing yogurt, cheddar & mozzarella , peanut butter and cream with your coffee. From what I've learned about paleo, dairy products, peanuts, yogurt (even greek) are not allowed. :cry: I have some friends who are hard core paleo eaters and they also just opened up a Crossfit Box in our area. I asked them about peanut butter (which I love dearly and do not want to part with) and they said no, also no beans, no yogurt, no cheese, no milk, etc.. :shock: ..I was and still am skeptical about the restrictiveness of it, and I by no means follow paleo that strictly. I have for the most part given up cheese, milk (switched to almond milk), grains (except for WW bread for PEANUT Butter sandwiches :wink: ) potatos, rice, processed foods like crackers, breaded fried foods, etc.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to be critical or "call you out" on your diet and I personally don't see anything wrong with your food choices, in fact you are amazing in your discipline - I think you are doing fantastic and I am very inspired by your workout, diet regimen. I was just curious about your decision to keep those things in your paleo diet. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Weight goes up and down all day. Your weight readings can be inluenced by having undigested food left over or leftover waste matter; water retention if you suddenly or inadvertently increased your salt intake; fluid retention from T.O.M, in the case of you ladies and also a set of scales that has gone slighty askew, regards where the dial starts.

That can happen through frequent use, to the point where sudedenly it starts 2-4lbs further over from the 0, than it did, giving a slightly flawed reading.

I'd always weigh first thing, once a week, on the same day if you do weigh becasue if you start weighing too often it can become a compulsive thing which is not good.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

fitoverforty wrote::cry:
Athene wrote:I am going to very strict for 1 week: no grains whatsoever (in keeping with paleo goal)
I've tried going Paleo and do follow it but not exclusively - there are foods that I eat that are not paleo. On your paleo diet I see you are allowing yogurt, cheddar & mozzarella , peanut butter and cream with your coffee. From what I've learned about paleo, dairy products, peanuts, yogurt (even greek) are not allowed. :cry: I have some friends who are hard core paleo eaters and they also just opened up a Crossfit Box in our area. I asked them about peanut butter (which I love dearly and do not want to part with) and they said no, also no beans, no yogurt, no cheese, no milk, etc.. :shock: ..I was and still am skeptical about the restrictiveness of it, and I by no means follow paleo that strictly. I have for the most part given up cheese, milk (switched to almond milk), grains (except for WW bread for PEANUT Butter sandwiches :wink: ) potatos, rice, processed foods like crackers, breaded fried foods, etc.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to be critical or "call you out" on your diet and I personally don't see anything wrong with your food choices, in fact you are amazing in your discipline - I think you are doing fantastic and I am very inspired by your workout, diet regimen. I was just curious about your decision to keep those things in your paleo diet. :)
I'm not taking it as a call out at all, thanks for bringing it up! I can't believe I've never addressed this: I eat a ton of dairy because I'm not lactose-intolerant. I don't want to cut dairy because then I will become lactose-intolerant (I had to consult a dietician about this, and she explained to me that lactose-intolerance stems from an inability to metabolize lactose with lactase, and the less you eat lactose the less lactase you produce = the more intolerant you become). I took the CrossFit Level1 Trainer course and when I was at cert I asked HQ about dairy and no one could give me a good reason as to why it was not permitted, aside from lactose-intolerance. Apparently most people are lactose-intolerant, so it's a pretty safe thing to say :?:

Good call on the peanut butter, I'm slacking about grocery shopping and getting that out of house.

I want to break this down for myself too, so I'm going to put it out there, I try to do all of these things, and now that I think about it it's a bit of a hodgepodge:

1. I use the CrossFit motto in everyday decisions:
"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat."

2. I use Zoning (Dr. Barry Sears) to control the portions of food:
I'm a "medium female" so I'm a "3 blocker", which translates to 3 meals a day of: 21 grams of protein, 4.5 grams of fat, 27 grams of carbs - never from grains, plus two smaller (1 block) snacks. I sort of follow this as a marker.

3. I use a "Paleo + Dairy" concept:
For me this translates to eating real food: meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, eggs, milk, cheese, greek yogurt (Protein powder and cheat meals excepted.... ugghh!)
And avoiding: all grains, refined sugar, processed food.

= So this is kind of where I'm coming from... the CrossFit motto is the most important, I think. It's the most helpful to me :) I really appreciate you bringing this up Lynne, and you're so wonderful, I could never be offended or take anything that you brought up the wrong way :D
Last edited by Athene on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Athene
REGULAR

April 11, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:I'd always weigh first thing, once a week, on the same day if you do weigh becasue if you start weighing too often it can become a compulsive thing which is not good.
I will do that. Thanks for your help! I definitely don't want to obsess about it.
I'm not copping out of goal, but the crazy thing is that if I'm getting stronger and leaner, and I don't lose weight, I don't really care. The before and after photos and measurements will tell the tale, right? If I'm ripped, awesome; if I'm not, there was more fat to lose and I have to keep working at it. I'm not giving up during these 20 weeks. I will achieve goal out of a mix of stubbornness and obstinacy!

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull up/squat/push up/v ups
WOD - 7 rounds for time: 200 steps (stairs) sprint + max reps push ups
Flexibility

Nutrition
8:30 AM - 90 g low fat cheddar, 1 apple, 500 g black coffee
12:30 PM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 3 cups broccoli, 1/4 cup tzatziki
7:00 PM - postWOD 166 g Greek yogurt
9:00 PM - 3 eggs, 2 cups spinach, 1/4 cup cheddar/mozza
10:30 PM - 9 almonds, 500 ml herbal tea