Anniversary Goal

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Athene
REGULAR

June 2, 2012

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:
Athene wrote:9:00 AM - 1 cup black coffee
11:00 AM - 3 oz montery jack, 1 english cucumber
2:30 PM - 3 oz extra lean ground beef, 1/2 cup sauteed mixed bell peppers and onions
3:00 PM - 2 cups black coffee
6:30 PM - 3 oz extra lean ground beef, 1/2 cup sauteed mixed bell peppers and onions
9:00 PM - 1 cup black tea
that doesn't look like a lot? How many calories do you normally have a day karrie?
I don't count calories, so I'm not sure...but not eating enough is a big issue I am trying to address right now. If I miss window to eat, training is too close, and then I can't eat or I'll be sick, so I have to be more militant about it. I'm working on it. I totally agree with you that it's not enough.
Boss Man wrote:I would avoid the tea and Coffee as well.

Caffine can block Iron absorption which can hinder Erythrocyte. (Red Blood Cell), production and Caffine can also constrict bloodvessels.

If you end up with fewer Erythrocytes and potentially slower bloodflow, you'll just cut the amount of Oxygen that can be stored in the muscles, when you have potentially lower Myoglobin levels, cut the amount that can be used for ATP production and cut the speed at which oxygen can get back into the muscles.

When your body has less oxygen to source during Glycogen use, (Glycolysis), you could increase Lactic Acid production.

Plus the Caffeine intake could solicit a diuretic type influence, that is not necessarily a good thing, if you're trying to intake more fluid to help you train, as that fluid will contain Oxygen obviously and this may again possibly increase Lactic acid issues.

If you have things in your diet like Vitamin C and Capsicum you can boost Iron and also assist in its usage with Copper intake, so Beans, Rice, Mushrooms, Green Veggies, Whole-grains etc.

These might be things to consider that may have some impact on what you're trying to do.

Good luck and keep us posted. I certainly am right behind your goal(s) and I hope what you're trying to do works out for you :).
Did not know that! Thank you for the info. I'm trying to keep it to the morning, and I am drinking way more water.

Lifestyle
Biked 10 k to work
Sat at a desk for 4 hours, up and around the other 4
Biked 10 k home

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull ups, squats, push ups, sit ups
WOD - 5 rounds for time: 10 chest to bar pull ups, 10 burpees, 10 thrusters (45 lbs), 10 sit ups, 10 box jumps (20")
Flex

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 1 black coffee, handful of almonds (about 15)
11:00 AM - 1 hamburger patty, 3 cups steamed broccoli
1:30 PM - 1 tin hardwood smoked oysters, 3 cups steamed broccoli
3:30 PM - 12 almonds
5:30 PM - postWOD whey shake
8:00 PM - 3 oz lean ground beef, 1 cup sauteed mixed bell peppers and onion
9:00 PM - 1 hot cocoa (less than 4 g sugar, no dairy)
Athene
REGULAR

June 3, 2012

Post by Athene »

Today is a big day: 1 week until the mini triathlon next weekend, and 6 weeks until the sprint triathlon relay with training buddies. We're having a "Measuring Party" tonight so that we can see how we change over the 6 weeks :) friends are a little bit bigger (taller, heavier, more broad in the hips and shoulders) than I am, but we all have about the same body fat percentages kicking around, so it will be interesting to see how regulating training and nutrition impacts us in different ways.

Also a big deal: I ran 15k this past week. I hated it, but I never imagined I could actually do it. It just goes to show that 90% of the barriers we have are likely mental. If someone has an illness or a chronic condition they are dealing with, please ignore this. I feel like I imagine limitations, then sabotage myself so that they become real. It's madness, but I'm determined to keep working towards changing it. I feel pretty good these days. I still cheat too much, but I tend not to record those days... I cheated today already, so I will post that and update the rest of day later.

Hope everyone is having a nice Summer so far 8)

Lifestyle
Day off, slept-in until noon
Spring cleaning (cleaned out closets, lots of things are too big now even though weight is the same, woo hoo!)
Veging on the couch, coffee with the hubby

Training
Rest Day 1/1 ( body feels like mush after yesterday's training!)

Nutrition
12:00 PM - 2 huge slices leftover pizza, 2 cups black coffee
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 1 tbsp almond butter
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Anniversary Goal

Post by Boss Man »

Yeah, I see how you cheated :wink:

You could have justs pitched the slices of Pizza out, or alternatively, removed the bits off the top and pitched the Cheese and Dough, so you were just eating the stuff like Olives, Salami, Mushrooms, Tomato etc, or whatever was on it.

You could have then just whacked the bits of pizza topping between some thin sliced bread and made a sandwich, (one slice cut in half), but you would potentially get less Carbs from the bread than the dough and definitely less saturates from the massive lack of cheese.
Athene
REGULAR

June 4, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:Yeah, I see how you cheated :wink:
Who, me? :P
Boss Man wrote:You could have justs pitched the slices of Pizza out, or alternatively, removed the bits off the top and pitched the Cheese and Dough, so you were just eating the stuff like Olives, Salami, Mushrooms, Tomato etc, or whatever was on it.

You could have then just whacked the bits of pizza topping between some thin sliced bread and made a sandwich, (one slice cut in half), but you would potentially get less Carbs from the bread than the dough and definitely less saturates from the massive lack of cheese.
All really good ideas. I threw out a lemon pie someone gave me last week and felt terrible about it, but I know it ends up in the same place no matter what I do with it. The thing is, when I make the decision to cheat, it's a decision to cheat, not to have a partial-cheat or a reasonable one :oops: I think I just need to make the decision to cheat less often - I can't go down the dissecting--pizza road. It looks depressing as hell to me, no offence to anyone that does it.

This is today, it was alright. Swimming felt good. I'm swimming for the next two weeks, and then will cool it after that. Measurements came in hot last night - I've lost 2.5 inches in the hip, 1.5 inches from each thigh, and biceps are bigger, which rules. Weight is holding steady at 158.8 lbs. I went shopping today and bought some new summer things, and was almost 2 sizes smaller than normal, which felt great. I'm really hoping the recomposition will keep going this way so I am a bit harder... I like saying that rather than "lose fat" or whatever, that kind of goes without saying. I want to get rid of the soft parts and be physically hard 8) Which way to the beach??

Lifestyle
Day off from work
Running errands, driving, walking, unloading and carrying a protein-and-fat-packed Costco shop
(homemade hamburger patties ready for the grill, 4 packages of bacon, 3 tubs cottage cheese, 60 eggs, 1.5 litres of egg whites, bags and bags of broccoli florets and broccoli slaw, huge jar kalamata olives, 8 litres of whole milk, enormous bag of pink grapefruits, and 14 packages of floss :wink: )

Training
Pool: 750 m freestyle for time

Nutrition
10:00 AM - postSwim whey shake
12:30 PM - 3 oz chicken, 3 cups romaine lettuce, 5 black olives, 2 tbsp caesar dressing, triple shot espresso
3:30 PM - 3 eggs, 1 tbsp shredded cheddar, 2 cups steamed broccoli
6:30 PM - 4 slices bacon, 2 cups steamed broccoli, 1 black coffee
8:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 1/2 grapefruit, 5 kalamata olives
9:30 PM - 1 tbsp almond butter
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Gaining on the biceps will always be a good thing for you, not just now but for the rest of your life.

It proves you're also going in the right direction(s).
Athene
REGULAR

June 5, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:Gaining on the biceps will always be a good thing for you, not just now but for the rest of your life.

It proves you're also going in the right direction(s).
I guess it does, doesn't it? :) Things are looking better. We'll see what's up on July 21. I don't know what goal is really, just moving in the right direction, like you said.

Lifestyle
Drove to and from work
5 hours at desk, 3 up and about

Training
AM - 750 m swim for time
PM - Warm Up: 500 m row, 400 m jog, warmed up overhead squat
WOD: 5 rounds for time: 400 m run, 15 Overhead Squats (scaled to 45 lbs for me)
+ Stretching

Nutrition
8:30 AM - triple shot espresso, handful cashews
11:30 AM - 3 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 bacon
2:30 PM - 1 hamburger patty, 3 cups steamed broccoli, 5 kalamata olives
6:30 PM - 1 tin hardwood smoked oysters, 1/2 grapefruit
10:30 PM - postWOD whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 cup hot cocoa ( less than 4 g sugar)
11:30 PM - 4 dill pickles, 5 kalamata olives, 500 ml G2 (10 g sugar, + potassium, sodium, etc.)

Edit: corrected date!
Last edited by Athene on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athene
REGULAR

June 6, 2012

Post by Athene »

Lots of training today. Didn't eat as well as I could have - wanted to have more veg than fruit - but didn't cheat! Bam. Read an interesting article about how important getting 8-10 hours of sleep per night is when you're training hard... I am in big trouble! Gotta get to bed. Good Night!

Lifestyle
Biked 10k to work
Got a ride home
8 hours at a desk

Training
Session #1 - Warm Up: 800 m jog, 10 GHD Hip Extensions, 10 Sit Ups. WOD: 3 rounds for time - 800 m run, 50 Hip Extensions on GHD, 50 Sit Ups
Session #2 - 750 m freestyle swim, for quality

Nutrition
9:00 AM - whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 cup black coffee
12:00 PM - 1 hamburger patty, 3 cups steamed broccoli
3:30 PM - 1 can lemon pepper tuna, 1/2 an enormous grapefruit
7:00 PM - 500 ml G2, 2 tbsp almond butter (in between training sessions)
11:00 PM - whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1/2 grapefruit
Athene
REGULAR

June 7, 2012

Post by Athene »

I'm looking forward to a mini-tri with a friend on Sunday morning, it's a 350 m swim + 13.5 k bike + 3.5 k run, then I'm going to eat ice cream on the beach for the rest of the day :) energy level has been stable this week and I'm feeling pretty good. Low carb, high protein, high fat nutrition seems to be treating me well. I've gone from a size 10-12 shorts/pants to a size 6-8, crazy! Had to return some things I bought on Monday that are actually too big. I really have to focus on upper body and get stronger now. I want to hulk out of shirts!

I read an article about how athletes should try to get 9-10 hours of sleep per night due to Human Growth Hormone release, and all that kind of stuff, so I'm going to try to get 9 and be satisfied if I fail and get 8 :) Baby steps.

Lifestyle
10k bike commute to work
8 hours at a desk

Training
Session #1 - Warm Up: 3 sets 10 each, pull ups/squats/push ups/sit ups, Workout: 10 sets 10 explosive bench press with 2 min max rest in between sets
Session #2 - 750 m freestyle swim for time (did more breast stroke today and it was slower, bleh. Gotta get fastest time of the week tomorrow night)

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 3 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp shredded cheddar, 1 cup black coffee
11:30 AM - 1 beef burger (50 g pro, 38 g fat, 0 carb), 3 cups steamed broccoli, 2 tbsp diced tomato
2:30 PM - whey shake, 1/2 grapefruit
5:00 PM - 350 ml black coffee
7:00 PM - postworkout 1: whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter
10:30 PM - postworkout 2: 300 ml 2% milk, 3 squares 90% dark chocolate (2 g sugar total in chocolate)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:I'm looking forward to a mini-tri with a friend on Sunday morning, it's a 350 m swim + 13.5 k bike + 3.5 k run, then I'm going to eat ice cream on the beach for the rest of the day
Sounds like a fun day. Good luck!
Athene wrote:I've gone from a size 10-12 shorts/pants to a size 6-8, crazy! Had to return some things I bought on Monday that are actually too big.
Awesome!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Growth hormone production during sleep, happens for about 2 hours in the deep sleep phase so I believe, which is after the R.E.M., (Rapid Eye Movement), phase of sleep, if memory serves correctly.

GOOD LUCK with the mini-tri, I'm sure you'll be brilliant :).
Athene
REGULAR

June 16, 2012

Post by Athene »

It's been 9 days since last post! The mini-tri was a lot of fun. I placed 14th out of 24, and did all 3 events in 1 hour 5 mins. All of the times were pretty close and there were some really fit folks there, so I had to struggle to keep up. The swim was the worst part! I couldn't believe it. So many weeds, and the water was really cold. I was still 4th out of the water, then the bike slowed me down, and I ran a pretty steady 3.5k for me. goal was not to stop, and I didn't. I also ran from transition area to transition area instead of walking, which I didn't do last year. Pretty happy about that stuff :) I've had 3 treat meals in the last 1.5 weeks, but it doesn't feel like the wrong thing to do.

What else has happened? I got first flat tire on bike, so I'm taking it to the shop to get a new tube and to learn how to change it (!) on Monday.

Lifestyle
Walked 5 k from work, bussed the rest
4 hours at a desk, 4 hours up and about

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, olympic lift warm up for Snatch Balance and Sumo Deadlift High Pull, KB swing (20 then 35 lbs), 18" box jumps
WOD - For time, 50 reps per exercise: Snatch Balance, Sumo Deadlift High Pull, Box Jumps, GHD Sit Ups, KB swing
Flex

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 1 hamburger patty, 2 cups steamed broccoli, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 cup black coffee
12:30 AM - 1 hamburger patty, 2 cups steamed broccoli, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 cup black coffee
3:30 PM - 1 hamburger patty, 2 cups steamed broccoli, 2 tbsp almond butter
7:30 PM - 1 whey shake
9:30 PM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 4 strips bacon, 4 squares 90% dark chocolate
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

congrats on the triathlon karrie that sounds awesome. And you sound awesome when you talk about your swimming. 4th out of the water! NIce! :D
Athene
REGULAR

June 17, 2012

Post by Athene »

Thanks, Beck :) 4th out was good, but the swim felt so terrible! I actually went about 25 m off-course and had to catch up with everyone because I can't even swim in a straight line. Oops. It's nice to have events to train for. The next is the Sprint Tri relay with friends at the end of July. I'm doing the 5k run part, and I'm aiming for under 25 mins.

Lifestyle
Day off from work and training, going to have a few small cheats today.
Vegged, napped, and sat with feet up. Used the foam roller on back and shoulders a bit.

Training
Rest Day

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 3 strips bacon, 2 cups black coffee
1:00 PM - 250 ml 2% chocolate milk (Treat 1/2)
5:00 PM - 1 hamburger patty, 1 tbsp shredded sharp cheese, 2 tbsp salsa
--TBA Treat 2/2 Meal--
Update:
8:00PM - 7 oz sirloin steak with mushrooms, 2 cups sauteed peppers and cherry tomatoes, 1 cup chocolate mousse dessert with peanut butter and sea salt sponge toffee. So delicious!
Last edited by Athene on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

WELL DONE :).

You finshed in the top 58.33% of competitors.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Your journal is awesome… such a great motivation & I love the fact that you have tons of stuff… daily activity and different workouts from biking to swimming & weights! Good job & keep it up! :mrgreen: