Anniversary Goal

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Athene
REGULAR

Anniversary Goal

Post by Athene »

I saw on profile page tonight that I have been a member here for almost 2 years! Since July 21, 2010, when I was in a lower leg cast for 6 months, trying to keep the pounds at bay. I have had the same goal this whole time: Lose 20 lbs. I've never done it, but the time I came closest was last January when I dropped 10 lbs and posted pics. I'm back up to the weight I was, way stronger, but still with a high body fat %, and a chip on shoulder about never hitting weight loss goal.

I know what to do, the training component has been good all along, it's a lack of consistency with nutrition that holds me back. I consistently "over-treat" myself and justify it in lots of weird ways, and have never consistently controlled portions. So idea to embark on this goal actively, AGAIN, lead me to 2 questions:

1. Why did I give up the last 2 times I tried this?
I think I give up because I don't really believe I can do it. After I lose the first 10 lbs I feel like I've achieved something, and I don't really think I will lose the other 10, or that it will make a difference, so I drop the whole thing and go back to what I was doing before, promptly gaining the 10 lbs back and ending up where I initially began. I don't really believe I can do it, so I lazily tell myself I don't NEED to and that it was an unachievable or unimportant goal in the first place. Total BS, I know - that's just complacency taking over.

2. What will be different this time?
This time I feel like character is at stake. I need to prove to myself that I can achieve this goal, or I'm afraid I will learn something about myself that I don't like. I want to celebrate 2-year ShapeFit anniversary 20 lbs lighter. It's 20 weeks away, so I only have to lose 1 lbs per week.

I'm going to try to stick to a journal everyone... brace yourselves for more of me than you ever wanted to read! If I achieve this I'm sure I will be the slowest person to ever lose 20 lbs in the history of this site!

Starting weight: 160 lbs, March 3, 2012
Goal weight: 140 lbs, July 21, 2012
Training goal: Maintain workouts 5-6 days per week
Nutrition goal: Maintain "Paleo+Dairy", with only 1 cheat night per week (this is problem - way too liberal with cheats/treats)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Anniversary Goal

Post by Boss Man »

You've always had what it takes; I knew that and I'm sure others did too.

You don't need to doubt yourself, ebcasue there's a lot more to you than you may have ever realised and you've got all the mental and emotionl tools and understanding to make it happen.

You're a great individual with a wonderful attitude to people so I hope it works out for you.

GOOD LUCK :).
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Happy to have you journaling again Karrie!! So nice to have you back and posting. 20 pounds seems very doable in that amount of time. :)

Good Luck! :D
Athene
REGULAR

March 3, 2012

Post by Athene »

You guys are so great!! It feels fantastic to have a goal.

Okay, let's journal this sh*t. I'm going to post videos from YouTube of the workouts when they're available, so you can see what they look like.
***Note on water: I drink 2-3 litres every day, that can be taken as read.

Training
Warm Up: 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull ups/squats/push ups/sit ups
Work out of the day: 'Fran' Thrusters and pull ups for time, 21-15-9 (5:11) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShHz27QxeU
Flexibility: Hams, quads, calves, shoulders, lats, chest, forearms

Nutrition
7:30 AM - 500 ml 2% milk, 500 ml black coffee
12:30 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 1 orange, 9 cashews
4:30 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 2 cups raw broccoli, 1/4 cup hummus
7:30 PM - postWOD 500 ml chocolate milk
9:00 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 2 cups mixed veg (red, green, yellow peppers, carrots, spanish onion, green peas), 1/2 cup coconut milk
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Athene wrote:If I achieve this I'm sure I will be the slowest person to ever lose 20 lbs in the history of this site!
no, I think I win that one... :roll: been here since july 2009, still trying to reach goal. I've done just like you...lost some weight then momentum would slow down or some other life event would happen,and I would gain it back. Im sure I've probably lost the same 10 to 15 lbs several times over!
But I'm in it to win it and refuse to give up - your recommittment is inspiring to not only me but I'm sure many others, cause we identify we you - we all struggle with the same type of things.
Good luck to you, I know you will do awesome! :mrgreen:
Athene
REGULAR

March 4, 2012

Post by Athene »

Thanks Lynne, your progress has inspired me! I really appreciate the kind words :)

Today work schedule was a bit packed. I don't usually work Sundays and today I didn't have time to eat third meal during the day, plus training session was difficult. I was terrible at every skill we practiced, so I didn't feel particularly good afterward, but I can't just practice things I'm good at.

Training
Warm Up - Gymastics practice: forward and backward rolls, teddy bear stand, free headstand.
WOD - Tabata sets (8x 20 sec work 10 sec rest) of each: Toes-to-bar, ring push ups, leg pistols
Flexibility - hamstrings, quads, calves, shoulders, triceps, lats, sides

Nutrition
7:30 AM - 250 ml 2% milk, 400 ml Americano
12:30 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 3 cups broccoli, 1/4 cup hummus
9:30 PM - 4 scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar, 1 apple, 2 tbsp peanut butter
10:00 PM - 250 ml coffee with milk, 9 cashews
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Why the last meal 30 minutes after the previous one instead of all together?

9 Almonds seems a bit random, why not 10?

:)
Athene
REGULAR

March 5, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss: I didn't plan the snack at 10PM, I was just trying to stay alert before studying, so I had something (!). With the cashews, yes - 9 is usually the max for nuts that I eat in a sitting, it's about 4.5 g fat. Typically, I measure portions for meals so that I don't eat more than 21 grams of protein (3 oz of chicken, beef, etc.), 4.5 grams of fat (approx. 9 cashews, almonds, etc.) and 24 g of carbs (6 cups of broccoli, 1.5 oranges, etc.) per meal. I could eat up to 6 of these meals per day, but I usually get to 4 and am in bed! The measurements are from Barry Sears 'Zone Diet'. Most Crossfitters 'zone' their portions for optimal performance, so I use it as a gage.

Today nutrition was crappy - I knew I had cheat meal coming up in the evening and was helping friends move during the day, so I didn't really plan to eat during the day that much. Not smart, but oh well, here it is.

Training
-- Rest Day --
Mondays are day off from work and training, and are usually when I schedule cheat day too.

Nutrition
10:00 AM (slept in) - 4 scrambled eggs, chopped onion, ground pepper, 1 orange, 250 coffee with milk
3:00 PM - Edamame (7 pods), 9 cashews, black tea
6:00 PM - Cheat meal at a Greek restaurant: 10 oz steak, 2 cups potatoes and carrots, 2 cups green beans and tomatoes, 4 cups green salad, and a huge piece of baklava for dessert! Delicious. The steak was huge and had a "peppercorn-espresso glaze", if you can imagine that. It was so good.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Cheat meal sounds good!! A good steak with potatoes you can't go wrong!! That steak with the glaze sounds really good. Not to mention the dessert. It sounds like a cheat meal but in a healthy way too with the salad and veggies. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's good if you have a set system to work from and it's not stupid one like Maple Syrup Diet. It's just inquisitive nature, when I see people saying I ate 8 Almonds or 13 Almonds or 9 Almonds and I think why not just have 10? :P :P

It always seems to be Almonds too, I've never seen anyone on here that I can recall, saying something like I ate 11 Brazils, or 7 groundnuts, or 12 Chestnuts instead of just 10, it's almost always Almonds that people on here claim to eat, in odd or perculiar numbers :P.

Must be some quirk of Almonds :wink:
Athene
REGULAR

March 6, 2012

Post by Athene »

Training

Session #1
Warm Up - 500 m row, 10 reps each: kipping pull ups/push ups/sit ups/leg pistols
Technique - Gymastics skills: Cartwheels, Walk-overs.
WOD - 100 GHD sit ups for time (6:31)
Flexibility - Abs, legs, shoulders.

Session #2
Warm Up - 1 mile walk/jog
Workout - 8 x 100m run sprints, 90 sec recovery in between sets (16-17 seconds each length)
Flexibility - Legs, hips.

Nutrition
7:30 AM - 250 ml 2% milk, 500 ml black coffee
11:30 AM - 3 oz chicken, 3 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup hummus
3:30 PM - 3 oz chicken, 1 grapefruit, 9 cashews
10:30 PM - 4 eggs, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar, 1 grapefruit, 500 ml earl grey tea
*Added after the fact* = 11:30 PM - 15 cashews with 2 tsp honey (should have gone to bed! Oh well.)
Last edited by Athene on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:That steak with the glaze sounds really good. Not to mention the dessert. It sounds like a cheat meal but in a healthy way too with the salad and veggies. :)
It was really good :) The dessert was huge as well - I'm usually disappointed with desserts because they're so small I feel like I didn't get the full "cheat meal" experience, but this one was satisfying to work through.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:That's good if you have a set system to work from and it's not stupid one like Maple Syrup Diet.
Yeah, it's just a portion measurement system, you can eat any kind of food. Check it out if you have time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHNxZc0vDtg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man wrote:Must be some quirk of Almonds :wink:
Cashews Boss, cashews! :D
Haha but it is funny how people only do it with almonds! I think it's because nuts are so high in calories and fat, you have to handle them with care. If I wanted brazil nuts, I would actually only eat 3 in one meal - 3!
Last edited by Athene on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athene
REGULAR

March 7, 2012

Post by Athene »

I was running late today and panicked and ate cashews (not almonds ;) ) with the awesome latte I grabbed when I transferred buses, so I didn't have the nuts for third meal in the afternoon. Although I really like Starbucks' coffee, favorite espresso-based drink is a latte from the Second Cup. The Second Cup reminds me of Costa coffee, which I know is in the UK but not here in Canada. I don't understand what's different about it, it just tastes better to me.

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 1-10 ladder double-unders with speed rope
Technique - Practiced gymnastics skills: cartwheels, walk-overs, teddybear headstands, handstands on the wall (20 mins)
WOD - 5 rounds for time: 20 box jumps @ 18" and 10 burpees (11:33)
Flexibility - calves, quads, hamstrings, shoulders, abs.

Nutrition
7:30 AM - doubleshot latte with whole milk, 9 cashews
12:30 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 3 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup hummus
3:30 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 1 grapefruit, 250 ml black coffee
8:00 PM - 3 scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar, 3 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup hummus
9:30 PM - 500 ml 2% chocolate milk
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Hey girl, Workout & Diet looks good. I noticed your first meal is around 7:30 and the next mean is 11:30/12:30.
Are you having anything between? Or you're not hungry?