Anniversary Goal

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Anniversary Goal

Post by Boss Man »

Lactose is called a Di-saccharide, it's a combination of Galactose and Glucose, (Monosaccharides).

Lactase is one of, (to give them their shortened name, as I can't remember the full one), several Transferases and is responsible for helping to digest the Galactose molecule.

Pretty much all of thses intolerances are down to some sort of enzyme or other digestive substance being in low or non-existant amounts, as the body breaks down just about every nutrient it gets given into a more usable form.
Athene
REGULAR

April 12, 2012

Post by Athene »

Thanks for the context, Boss. I can't remember where I heard about this, but I think something like 80% of the planet is lactose-intolerant - it's mostly people of Northern European descent who are not, so I guess it's pretty safe to recommend people shy away from it if they're looking to make improvements to nutrition and overall well-being, especially because milk itself is pretty high in sugar.

Today was pretty good. The workout was based on coordination and balance, and left arm was waaaaay weaker than the right for the Turkish get-ups, so it was good to practice those. I didn't eat anything postWOD, which I really should have, but I'll try for tomorrow.

Training
Warm Up: 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull ups/squats/push ups/v-ups
WOD: A. Max weight Turkish Get-up in 12 mins, B. Max time L-sit on gymnastics rings, 1-1-1
Flexibility

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt
9:00 AM - 500 ml black coffee
11:30 AM - 1 can tuna, 2 tbsp antipasto (tomato paste, olives, green beans, onions), 250 ml black coffee
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 4 cups broccoli slaw (90% broccoli, 10% red cabbage and carrots), 2 tbsp vinegarette, 9 almonds
9:00 PM - 3 eggs, 1/4 cup cheddar/mozza, 9 asparagus spears
10:00 PM - 9 almonds
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Are you planning on doing any tri's this summer Karrie? you may have mentioned it but i can't remember if you did. triathlons sound like so much fun i want to definitely do one some day!!
Athene
REGULAR

April 15, 2012

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:Are you planning on doing any tri's this summer Karrie? you may have mentioned it but i can't remember if you did. triathlons sound like so much fun i want to definitely do one some day!!
Yes :) I'm doing a really short, fun one again! It's July 15, and it's a 300 m open water swim + 10 km hilly bike ride + 3 km run. Are you planning any tri action this summer?

Training
Pool workout
400 m freestyle for time
6 x 50 m sprints: half freestyle, half eggbeater/lifesaving kick with hands out of the water
2 x 50 m freestyle technique/cool down

Nutrition
WAS BALLS. I don't even want to write it down. I know it's a copout, I'm sorry. I feel like crap about it. The last two days have been really bad and I'm trying to make a plan to help myself out of it, I'm giving up, and I don't even know why. Actually I do, there's a lot going on and I'm freaked out about deadlines that I have, and I'm just sucking right now. I am taking the next two weeks off from normal CrossFit training because I need more time for school, so I'm making nutrition a priority until at least May 1. I've got to get a handle on this, I know I must look like such a dork, making goals, giving up, making new goals, giving up, repeat. Please don't feel sorry for me, whatever you do! I know that this is not a real problem, it's just problem right now, and life is pretty good so I'm fixating on it.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:Are you planning any tri action this summer
no! I would really like too eventually though. :)
Athene wrote:I know I must look like such a dork, making goals, giving up, making new goals, giving up, repeat.
I'm famous on here for that,. LOL and in family for this too with goals to lose weight. It's a tad embarrassing. because sometimes they can kind of rub it in a little bit. But really though the only person we are accountable too is ourselves and if you have kids maybe your kids too. As long as you don't give up that's the most important thing. :) We are just here to support you!!
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Thanks for the love, Becky. I'm known as the one in family who always has some "nutrition plan" too, but whenever I see anyone and eat with them, it's an exception, a cheat meal, a treat, whatever! It's a bit funny and a tad embarrassing too, I would say. I just don't follow the advice that I know is good, and works for me, because life "gets in the way". I'm going to keep trying, and I want to see what I can do up until goal of 20 lbs down by July 21 - who knows what will happen? And who knows how many people I can drive crazy on the way?! :P
Last edited by Athene on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athene
REGULAR

April 16, 2012

Post by Athene »

Alright, it's the last half of April and there are a few deadlines coming up for me. May 1 I have to have a draft of thesis submitted to advisor, so I am taking the whole 2 weeks off from training with usual group in order to make more time for studying and writing. Any training I do will be solitary, so probably more running and swimming than usual. I hope I don't lose too much strength, but it's only 2 weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Everyone around me that is succeeding with training and body composition goals is eating a pretty strict protein+green veg diet (no worries about fat, so cheese, cream, milk, and full fat Greek yogurt are good for protein too), without any quantity or timing concerns. I figure there must be something to this, and that anything that is strict without leeway is better for me, because I can't bend the rules or lie to myself. I'm not going to say I'm doing anything (!), I'm just going to try some things out for the next two weeks and see what happens. I need a good dip on the scale for morale. I feel like such a dork right now, but what's happening in this journal is an exact reflection of what goes on in head/life every day, so it's kind of interesting to see how people react to it, and how I feel about it being public knowledge that nutrition SUCKS at least 20% of the time.

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, front squat practice with dowl and bar
WOD - Front squat 3-3-3-3-3-3
Flexibility

Nutrition
11:00 AM - 3 eggs, 2 cups spinach, 1/4 cup shredded cheese
3:00 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 2 cups steamed broccoli, 500 ml black coffee
7:00 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 2 cups steamed broccoli
8:00 PM - 1/4 cup almonds, cashews, raisins
Last edited by Athene on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You just need to get a grip on things and I know you will.

GOOD LUCK wiht everything and try not to worry too much okay :).
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Athene wrote: I need a good dip on the scale for morale. I feel like such a dork right now, but what's happening in this journal is an exact reflection of what goes on in head/life every day, so it's kind of interesting to see how people react to it
I react to it by relating to it - I see myself so much in your journal entries and your honest posts. Keep 'em coming! You are helping more people than you know - just by being you and not trying to sugarcoat anything, but just keeping it real. Love that. :mrgreen:
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:You just need to get a grip on things and I know you will.

GOOD LUCK wiht everything and try not to worry too much okay :).
Thanks, I'll try!
fitoverforty wrote:I see myself so much in your journal entries and your honest posts. Keep 'em coming! You are helping more people than you know - just by being you and not trying to sugarcoat anything, but just keeping it real. Love that. :mrgreen:
Honesty I can do! You have no idea how good it makes me feel to hear you say that :twisted:
Athene
REGULAR

April 18, 2012

Post by Athene »

Last couple days have been full. Not training for the rest of April so that I can focus energy and waking hours on thesis is taking a toll, because I'm a bit stressed about not training - but I can still go for runs for mental health, and watch what I eat, which will hopefully keep me on track. training buddies did a workout yesterday with pull ups, box jumps, and GHD sit ups, which made me super jealous :evil: Oh well, priorities, right? I have to balance this out so I can graduate on time.

Training
--Off--

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 50 g low fat cheddar, 500 ml black coffee
11:00 AM - 3 oz chicken breast, 2 mini cukes, 3 macadamia nuts
2:00 PM - 3 oz chicken breast, 2 mini cukes, 3 macadamia nuts
5:00 PM - 50 g low fat cheddar, 2 mini cukes
7:00 PM - Deconstructed cheeseburger: 3 oz beef burger, 1 slice processed cheese, onions, pickle, mustard, ketchup
9:00 PM - 4 celery stalks with peanut butter and raisins on them ("Ants on a Log", if you're 6 years old)
10:30 PM - 250 ml black tea
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:priorities, right?
exactly right!! 2 weeks will go buy very quickly no worries!!!
Athene
REGULAR

April 23, 2012

Post by Athene »

First week of not training and focusing on school is down, and only 1 to go.

Nutrition has been okay, I just haven't had time to update everything. I've been cheating here and there with chocolate, and drinking more coffee, but other than that I feel great. When I get back to training next week I'm going to give myself the -kicking of a lifetime at the gym.

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 30 g montery jack cheese, 1 apple
1:00 PM - 133 g Greek yogurt, 2 cups green salad, 6 almonds, 2 tbsp vinegarette
5:00 PM - 2 beef patties, 2 cups green salad, 2 tbsp vinegarette
9:00 PM - 250 ml Americano with milk, 1 90% dark chocolate bar
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

You can do it Karrie!!! One thing at a time.

By the way i'm going swimming tomorrow!! I think of you with swimming because i remember you use to do it a lot too. I am probably just going to use a kickboard i think. I am downright horrible doing the freestyle and i dont' think weight helps balance me out when i'm swimming either. So i will just try to kick hard tomorrow!! maybe the back stroke too.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:You can do it Karrie!!! One thing at a time.

By the way i'm going swimming tomorrow!! I think of you with swimming because i remember you use to do it a lot too. I am probably just going to use a kickboard i think. I am downright horrible doing the freestyle and i dont' think weight helps balance me out when i'm swimming either. So i will just try to kick hard tomorrow!! maybe the back stroke too.
Thanks Becky! "One thing at a time", I will try to remember that :) It makes me feel better just thinking about it.

Yay for swimming! Kickboard work is fantastic, but don't short-change yourself with practicing freestyle, you definitely work more muscle groups when you add the arm pulls. If you can do 3 pulls and breathe, alternating from side to side, at any speed, it will get a little bit easier each time :)