Anniversary Goal

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Anniversary Goal

Post by Boss Man »

I can understand that you might feel silly and ashamed by your admissions, but in fact I want to tell you I'm proud of you for admitting to such things, not keeping them bottled up inside.

It does take a little courage and heart sometimes to say, hey, I'm screwing up in some way and I don't like it. People don't like admitting to failings, because it's like a kind of self harming of the mind or a form of emotional punishment if you will.

Logically who wants to talk negatively about themselves, even if sometimes they force themselves to, as a first step towards some sort of salvation or redemption.

Hi there I'm Mr / Mrs / Ms X and i'm an alcoholic.

Catharticism can be a great healer, when used by the exponent to educate themselves, as opposed to being used as a stick to beat themselves, leading to feelings of failure and potentially more mishaps.

Being human is prfectly okay, because it means you feel things, you possess conscience and you have a well developed sense of right and wrong, on both a wide scale and a personal level.

So I don't want you to feel silly or ashamed Karrie, for admitting you have been human and done what was not supposed to happen :).

I want you to feel a sense of pride, that you admitted to the sort(s) of things that possibly, (I don't know this), you might have hidden away and remained in denial of in the past :).

It's by admitting these things, that you can identify cause and "negative effect", then workout how to change things, to create cause and "positive effect".

You're a really, really wonderful and touching human being, with a warm heart, so don't be too hard on yourself okay. Keep believing, keep pushing and keep learning from all this as you go, because you are a strong and capable Lady and you should be proud of what you have been able to achieve in the past few years, especially to bounce back from a difficult injury and be able to work with others and motivate them to be better people.

Your work is an indicator of your own personal traits and how much value you possess as a person. Let the things that make you you, be big tools to make progress. Use that warmth and motivation for others, for yourself too and that intelligence as well and make the right choices based on knowledge, intuition and feeling, okay :).

It's all there for you if you want it, inside your head and heart, so don't doubt yourself when you speak negatively of yourself and don't be afraid to speak negatively sometimes, if it must be so, because doing such things allows confrontation of what shouldn't be, so what should be can be worked at better.

I want to send you a BIG PAT ON THE BACK because I want people like you to know I'm proud of you, that I understand you and that what you say doesn't make me critical of you, but able to realise how human it makes you, which is a really good thing.

You're a great, great person Karrie, so chin up, keep pushing and don't stop believing yeah :).

Myself and others have got your back, so it's all good :).

THANKS as always for the time you spend responding to others, you are too kind and truly appreciated as well :).

You WILL get where you want to be in the end, so be patient and cut yourself a little slack when needs be and if it ever gets a bit much drop me a message anytime and we'll work things through together for your own good and possibly the good of those around you, if it involves others too.

You have always more than earned any one to one I can give :).
Athene
REGULAR

March 26, 2012

Post by Athene »

:arrow: Boss: Thank you so much for the kind words. It means a lot when I'm feeling exposed and vulnerable about weaknesses. This log is making me face a lot of things, and I think you're right about how I may have been in denial about it the past. Writing it down is making me own up to it in a way that I think will be good for me long term. I've always been like this, so I have to deal with it and get over it sometime, why not in these 20 weeks? I still have 17 weeks left to drop the 20 lbs, so I'm just going to keep journaling meals and training, and try to stay positive so that I can make positive changes, rather than beat myself up and give in to failure.

Training
--Rest Day--

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 3 eggs, 1/4 cup shredded mozza/cheddar, 3 cups broccoli, 1/4 cup hummus
1:00 PM - 300 ml black americano
5:00 PM - 3 eggs, 1/4 cup shredded mozza/cheddar, 1 grapefruit
8:00 PM - 1 sweet potato, 9 cashews (I was procrastinating working on thesis, so I ate this instead of the bag of chips that was open in the cupboard, small victory)
10:00 PM - 4 cups broccoli, 1/4 cup hummus, 500 ml herbal tea
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Athene wrote:I'm sick of weight stopping me from reaching athletic potential.
I understand completely. You are not alone in that.
Athene wrote:1 sweet potato, 9 cashews (I was procrastinating working on thesis, so I ate this instead of the bag of chips that was open in the cupboard, small victory)
HUGE victory! :D

Love your workouts!! :mrgreen:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

just let what you know you can do and the accountability you are making for yourself, work together.

It CAN be done and any little positives can be used to make a big positive, so there's potentially plenty of good moments to come on this journey :).
Athene
REGULAR

March 27, 2012

Post by Athene »

Thanks, Lynne :) I like your workouts too.

Boss, thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to those good moments again.

Tomorrow is brother's birthday dinner, and the menu is homemade (deep fried in a beer batter) fish and chips, plus chocolate cake... I don't know how I'm going to tackle this. I'll eat a small portion I guess? There will only be 4 of us there, so if I make a stand against it I will look like a total pill.

Training
Warm Up - Deadlift warm up (low weight, higher reps)
WOD - Max deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1, + 1 x 3 minute hip extension hold
Flexibility - Hamstrings, lower back.

Nutrition
9:00 AM - double shot espresso, 250 ml 2% milk
12:00 PM - 1 can tuna, 2 tbsp antipasto, 1 grapefruit
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 4 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup hummus
7:30 PM - postWOD 400 ml 2% chocolate milk
9:00 PM - 3 eggs, 1/4 cup shredded mozza/cheddar, 1 apple, 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
11:30 PM - 4 dill pickles, 2 slices smoked deli ham, 12 cashews, 3 macadamias
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

A couple of possibles to be careful with.

Dill Pickle, may be a bit greasy or fatty / salty and the Deli Ham may be a bit salty, so if this is the case, consider alternatives, but if you perceive such things as not an issue, leave them be :).
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Athene wrote:Tomorrow is brother's birthday dinner, and the menu is homemade (deep fried in a beer batter) fish and chips, plus chocolate cake... I don't know how I'm going to tackle this. I'll eat a small portion I guess?
Yes, a small portion would be good, and you can remove the fried batter and just eat the fish - you'll still get the flavor without as much of the greasy outsides. Skip the chips, or only eat a few. And on the cake - you can scrape off the icing (or most of it :wink: ) to cut down on the sugar. That's what i do lots of times on family birthday cakes. :D
Athene
REGULAR

March 28, 2012

Post by Athene »

Good call, Boss: the ham doesn't have anything added and is "all natural", and the dill pickles are high in salt, but I'm not worried about salt intake at all. Thanks for having back!
fitoverforty wrote:Yes, a small portion would be good, and you can remove the fried batter and just eat the fish - you'll still get the flavor without as much of the greasy outsides. Skip the chips, or only eat a few. And on the cake - you can scrape off the icing (or most of it :wink: ) to cut down on the sugar. That's what i do lots of times on family birthday cakes. :D
Thank you Lynne! That's what I did. If I hadn't been cheating all week, I would have just eaten the birthday dinner, and not stressed out about it, but I couldn't feel good about treating myself "all out" last night.

I'm really nervous right now that I am coming down with the thing husband has been suffering through for the past 2 weeks. I'm taking Cold FX, drinking echinacea tea, sleeping at least 6-7 hours at night, and I'm considering not training for the next few days. workout yesterday definitely made throat worse, and I'm starting to develop a cough that is not the typical "cardio cough". I figure if I take 3-4 days off and take good care of myself, maybe this won't turn into anything serious. Yikes. It will be hard not to train for a few days, so I will have to be really careful about nutrition. We'll see how I feel. Yesterday I felt like head was in a muffin.

Training
Warm Up: 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull ups/squats/push ups/sit ups
WOD - Max reps 7 minutes: burpees (81... this was hard!)
Flexibility - Hip adductors, hip flexors, shoulders, abs.

Nutrition
9:00 AM - 250 ml 2% milk, doubleshot espresso, 1 handful trail mix (raw unsalted cashews, almonds, dried blueberries and cranberries)
1:00 PM - postWOD 400 ml 2% chocolate milk
3:30 PM - whey shake (no carbs or sugar), 3 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup hummus
6:30 PM - 1 filet haddock (batter peeled off), 1 cup yam fries, 2 cups green beans with almonds, 1 small slice chocolate birthday cake, 1 scoop chocolate mint ice cream, 500 ml black tea, 360 ml Ginger Ale ( mom gave this to me with ice when she heard how hoarse I was, she knows it's favourite...)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Hope you feel better Karrie. :) Don't feel embarrassed either about admitting you are emotional eating last week. That is what this place is for support and encouragement, to better our lives and achieve our goals. :D :D so no worries. :) Feel better!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I tend to try and workout when I'm feeling a bit "less than perfect", so to speak.

The Hypothalamus regulates body temperature between 96.5 and 100 degrees F, but it goes above 100 when under the weather, as an attempt to make your internal environment more counterproductive to viruses and pathogens, as this is a way for the body to try and halt their progress, then help to kill them off.

I train in such circumstances, because I believe by helping that thermic environment, I will be making the offending viral or pathogen invaders suffer more.

This may not be a comfortable solution for all like it is for me, but it may be something you had not thought about in relation to your circumstances. You must like anyone else must, consider what is best for you and weigh up the difference between cautious and overly cautious, so you know what you feel is going to be the right solution :).
Athene
REGULAR

Working Out While Fighting a Cold

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:I tend to try and workout when I'm feeling a bit "less than perfect", so to speak.

The Hypothalamus regulates body temperature between 96.5 and 100 degrees F, but it goes above 100 when under the weather, as an attempt to make your internal environment more counterproductive to viruses and pathogens, as this is a way for the body to try and halt their progress, then help to kill them off.

I train in such circumstances, because I believe by helping that thermic environment, I will be making the offending viral or pathogen invaders suffer more.
Oh man, the advice I have received is the opposite of yours! I should double-check source. nurse friend said that when your body is dealing with a virus, training can make it much worse specifically by elevating your core temperature, because that is the environment in which a virus will flourish.

In physical terms, I still feel very unwell, but I'm not feeling any worse than I was 3 days ago, and sore throat is feeling a *tiny* bit better. We will see what happens with this - the only other advice I've ever heard is "if you're sick from the neck up, work out, if it's below the neck, wait until you feel better". Chest colds, fever, chills, and aches are generally the no-go zone, but sniffles and sore throats apparently are. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I just don't want to risk it. I HATE missing training... I'm antsy as hell, but I hate being sick even more, so I'm being overly cautious.
Athene
REGULAR

March 29, 2012

Post by Athene »

Thanks for the encouragement, Becky, you're so awesome! I'm just admitting to everything and we'll see how it goes. I heard in a Ted Talk recently that people who have weight loss goals and talk about them are statistically less likely to reach their goal. Interesting hey? What's even more interesting is the reason: it's because people who talk about their goals get some validation/ a sense of achievement for talking about the goal, so the whole incentive isn't waiting at the end any more. I wonder if I kept everything to myself if I would be more likely to succeed? Maybe some day I'll find out :P

Training
Sick Day/Rest Day

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 250 ml 2% chocolate milk, 500 ml herbal tea
11:00 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 1 grapefruit, 500 ml herbal tea
2:00 PM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 3 cups broccoli, 1/4 cup hummus
6:00 PM - 2 cups homemade jambalaya (chopped/mixed chicken, shrimp, sausage, tomato, celery, onion)
9:00 PM - 1 L herbal tea (that's right!), 1 apple, 2 tbsp peanut butter
Athene
REGULAR

March 30, 2012

Post by Athene »

Still feeling on the edge of a cold right now. I may train tomorrow night if I feel better... we'll see what happens. It would be nice to space out the days off, maybe that will help. shoulders were extremely stiff and sore from the 7-min-burpee workout the day before yesterday, so it has been a rather leisurely recovery. We'll see how tomorrow feels. If I can do some heavy lifting, I think I will, that way I will get long breaks and it won't be hard on sore throat.

**Note on chocolate milk: I've been drinking a lot lately. It's not a great thing, but I drink it when I don't feel like eating or gagging down a whey shake. With nutrition plan milk is a pretty good profile: 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs. Chocolate milk has a TON of sugar in it, which is why I typically save it for post workout. I'm just eating whatever is in fridge right now, and it's getting slim. Gotta hit the grocery store this weekend.

Training
Sick Day/Rest Day

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 250 ml 2% chocolate milk, 1 grande americano (black)
11:00 AM - 166 g Greek yogurt, 1 grapefruit, 500 ml herbal tea
2:00 PM - 250 ml 2% chocolate milk
7:00 PM - Ham/vegetable deconstructed quiche (enormous serving I didn't measure), 500 ml herbal tea
10:00 PM - 500 ml herbal tea
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:Thanks for the encouragement, Becky, you're so awesome! I'm just admitting to everything and we'll see how it goes. I heard in a Ted Talk recently that people who have weight loss goals and talk about them are statistically less likely to reach their goal. Interesting hey? What's even more interesting is the reason: it's because people who talk about their goals get some validation/ a sense of achievement for talking about the goal, so the whole incentive isn't waiting at the end any more. I wonder if I kept everything to myself if I would be more likely to succeed? Maybe some day I'll find out
That's interesting. Kind of true for a lot of things probably? They always say don't talk about something till it happens otherwise you kind of jinx yourself?? It's probably true.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I don't understand why the Nurse would have said what she did. If you think about it, look at something like Salmonella. It gets killed by heating the Egg. Cooking in general kills bacteria, so why would the human body start overheating your internal environment, unless it was the virus causing the Hypothalamus to screw up it's termperature control?

Surely it would be the bodies response to the virus / pathogen and an atttempt stop it spreading or getting worse.

The other way of looking at it is if heating your body made it worse, wouldn't making yourself cold have the opposite effect and kill the viruses? However, how many people would reccomend you trying to make yourself cold to kill viruses? You're reccomended things like keeping warm, having hot drinks etc.

Your friend may be right in what she says, but I don't understand if she is, why she would be, because I'm not seeing it, or missing something obvious.