Anniversary Goal

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Anniversary Goal

Post by fitoverforty »

Athene wrote: If you can do 3 pulls and breathe, alternating from side to side, at any speed, it will get a little bit easier each time
man, just reading this makes me want to get back into lap swimming! And you are right it does get easier in time. When I first started I thought lungs would explode, heart would be pounding - and that was just with one lap! But as i continued each week I got stronger, and really got into the rhythm of the 3 stroke freestyle method. It's fav. :D
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

The thing is ladies, i swam quite a bit last year and didn't improve with freestyle ii don't think at all. i think it has something to do with weight. I need to lose 100 pounds so it might effect how i swim in water because i'm out of proprortion??? All i know is i feel bad for the people in the lane over because i'm sure i was making lots of waves!!

I might take some community swim classses maybe this summer so i can improve!!
Athene
REGULAR

April 25, 2012

Post by Athene »

Nice, Lynne! I'm sorry if I forgot this about you, but I don't think it registered with me that you were a swimmer too.
musculArgirl2 wrote:The thing is ladies, i swam quite a bit last year and didn't improve with freestyle ii don't think at all. i think it has something to do with weight. I need to lose 100 pounds so it might effect how i swim in water because i'm out of proprortion??? All i know is i feel bad for the people in the lane over because i'm sure i was making lots of waves!!

I might take some community swim classses maybe this summer so i can improve!!
If you're not used to coordinating the movements of your body the way that it is now, compared to a different time, that might be a real part of your challenge - but the more buoyant someone is in the water is usually determined by the amount of body fat that they have. People with higher body fat percentages, can typically float and move through the water much easier than, say, heavily muscled people. I could recommend some front crawl drills with a kickboard if you like, if you want to work on it?

Nutrition
8:30 AM - 2 beef burgers, 500 ml black coffee
12:30 PM - 250 g vanilla Greek yogurt, 3 macadamias
3:30 PM - 250 g vanilla Greek yogurt, 3 macadamias
6:30 PM - Venti Starbucks latte, 2 enormous Starbucks cookies (still fell asleep, 4 hours of sleep per night this week + a sugar crash from the cookies will do that, right?)
9:00 PM - TBA, I want eggs though, so we'll see.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Athene wrote:Nice, Lynne! I'm sorry if I forgot this about you, but I don't think it registered with me that you were a swimmer too.
I'm not a swimmer per say. I only swim when I'm training for a triathlon. Haven't done one since this time last year. But I don't know why I don't swim more - I really love it, especially after a few weeks when it becomes easier and technique gets more relaxed, more flowing and I can glide back and forth, cutting thru the water, perfectly in sync. favorite part is when I get strong enough and can hold breath long enough to make that cool flip turn under water - that makes me feel so freakin' bad to the bone :lol:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:If you're not used to coordinating the movements of your body the way that it is now, compared to a different time, that might be a real part of your challenge - but the more buoyant someone is in the water is usually determined by the amount of body fat that they have. People with higher body fat percentages, can typically float and move through the water much easier than, say, heavily muscled people. I could recommend some front crawl drills with a kickboard if you like, if you want to work on it?
i have a lot of muscle and fat. i dunno. All i know is freestly sucks. sure if you have some front crawl drills with a kickboard let me know.

This gym i just joined (mainly for the pool and bike - i would rather bike outside this summer but when you are heavy it is really hard to bike and push your own weight!! so i thought a stationary bike would be better for right now) but anyway point was this gym i joined doesn't have kickboards so i had to buy one online. Should come friday and then i can start. thanks! :D
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Thanks for the PM with the drills. I especially am excited about the kickboarding drills because again i'm a little embarrassed of freestyle. i'm not positioned right in the water when i'm doing the freestyle. But these drills will help for now. Again might try a swimming lesson too this summer but not right now.

Another issue i have is i get dry skin in ears from the chlorine. Does that ever happen to you? It can itch like crazy. LOL I'm going to try really drying some of the ear out with a towl as soon as i'm finished hopefully that will help. I really don't want to wear ear plugs.

Thanks again Karrie!!
Athene
REGULAR

April 28, 2012

Post by Athene »

I'm so glad you will find those helpful Becky, it's no problem :) Come to think of it - chlorine makes me itchy everywhere, except ears! I always shower as soon as I get out of there, use a moisturizing body wash, and use body lotion, otherwise it feels like skin is going to crack, shatter, and fall off.

I only have 3 days left before thesis draft is due... can't wait to get back to real life and training.
Athene
REGULAR

April 30, 2012

Post by Athene »

Thesis draft due tomorrow afternoon... real life is going to return....training will ensue.... I am going to go Sparta on the gym, come Wednesday!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Almost there Karrie! What is your degree in if you don't mind asking? :)
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

It's in History :) thesis is on the topic of the labour movement in Canada in the interwar period. I'm so pumped to finish it. The draft is due tomorrow, then the final paper is due in the middle of June, so I can defend over the summer and graduate in October. That will be fantastic. I can't wait to not have homework ever again, and to just make plans for the weekend, or even weeknights. I've been in university for almost 7 years and I'm definitely feeling ready to do something else.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

What are going to do after you graduate?

History was always one of favorite subjects too. Not world history though but american history.

Very excited for you!! :D :D
Athene
REGULAR

May 1, 2012

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:What are going to do after you graduate?

History was always one of favorite subjects too. Not world history though but american history.

Very excited for you!! :D :D
Thanks! I just emailed it off. I feel so much better! I still have 6 weeks of working it ahead of me, but this was the "make-or-break" deadline that decided whether I graduated this year or next year. I used to think I would go straight into a PhD and trying to make it as a prof, but I'm so not into that idea right now, I'm sick of being a student. skill set is built on research, writing, analysis, and written communication, and after holding management positions in public and private sectors, I'm thinking I want to work as a policy analyst in government, or maybe for a public corporation.

American history is the one type of history I know nothing about! I have to remedy that ;)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In brief, (and hopefully chronological order), or as I call it "The 10 Pillars Of America."

1. The pilgrim fathers left Britain and sailed to America.

2. They started founding the 13 colonies with Washington's help.

3. They fought the native Americans.

4. They had a war of independance againt the invading British.

5. They set out a constitution, involving electing presidents every 4-8 years and some general do's and don'ts.

6. They threw tea into the harbour at Boston and said screw the British and their tax demands.

7. They had a civil war.

8. They spent a lot of time building stuff, like railroads, New York and the Hoover Dam.

9. They got involved in 2 world wars and a war in Vietnam.

10. They bought large chunks of Mexico, Alaska off Russia and made Hawaii the 50th state.

One lengthy American History degree, summed up in a brief, content specific format by me.

Heck you Americans make life hard work for yourselves don't you :P :P.

Now the one remaning question is, when is online American History degree going to arrive in e-mail box? :P.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Boss Man wrote:In brief, (and hopefully chronological order), or as I call it "The 10 Pillars Of America."
that's pretty good boss. You forgot a war or two but not bad!! :P I really like american history and poly sci. But i suck at world history. history consists of for engand movies like braveheart and pride and prejudice!! For canada, history knowledge is like this :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D

funny for job, i've talked on the phone or emailed people all over the world, yet i've only traveled to bordering towns years ago in mexico and canada. maybe someday. :)

If i could do history i would love to become a geneologist and research peoples family trees. That would be a lot of fun!!! I really like doing that with mom. :)

excited for you karrie !!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Which wars did I neglect then?

I'm assuming one might be Korea.