Protein Bars

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

macher
STARTING OUT

Protein Bars

Post by macher »

I when shopping for protein bars what should I be looking for? Most bars I see have at least 3G saturated fat per serving.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Protein Bars

Post by Boss Man »

Saturate fat is not bad unless it's long chain. The short and medium chain ones like lauric acid, caprillic acid and caproic acid found in coconut oil, end up in the lymphatic system, go to the liver and get turned into energy.

Also the GDA for saturates based on a 2,000 calorie sedentary diet, is 20g as a proportion of 70g total fats, so the GDA is around 28.28% of total, which means 3g in one meal is less than 1/6 of the GDA for saturates anyway, but I'd avoid anything with more than 4g.

Good ones, if you're going to go down that route, should have 25g+ protein, 20g-30g carbs carbs, no HCFS, no hydrogenates, polyols, (sugar replacers) and other beneficial things such as gut bacteria like bifidus and rapeseed oil or other fatty acid sources and tocopherols from soya based content or other vitamin E sources is okay, as vit E is to understanding an umbrella term for alpha, beta, gamma and delta tocopherols, which are types of antioxidents.

If you have any allergies to things like soya, or nuts, or egg, or wheat then such products if they contain nutrition from one or more of those food sources, should stipulate this anyway so you're not getting a lottery.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Have you looked in to Quest Bars? They are low in sugar and have around 20 grams of fiber per bar. Cinnabun and Choc Chip Cookie Dough are two of the best flavors they offer.
macher
STARTING OUT

Post by macher »

Alinshop wrote:Have you looked in to Quest Bars? They are low in sugar and have around 20 grams of fiber per bar. Cinnabun and Choc Chip Cookie Dough are two of the best flavors they offer.
Thanks I'll look into them.
coffeewithkate
STARTING OUT

Post by coffeewithkate »

Was just going to respond with what Alinshop did. Quest bars are amazing and curb cravings for sweets. They're mostly all natural, sweetened with Stevia and are really high in fiber. So high that the net carb for most bars is usually around 4. They're available online (amazon or quest nutrition) and in most GNCs. Tip: Try microwaving for 20 seconds ... delicious.

One of Quest's main competitors is Krave ... another similar, low net carb protein bar. I've never tried them but I imagine they're similar to Quest.

http://www.coffeewithkate.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

coffeewithkate wrote:Was just going to respond with what Alinshop did. Quest bars are amazing and curb cravings for sweets. They're mostly all natural, sweetened with Stevia and are really high in fiber. So high that the net carb for most bars is usually around 4. They're available online (amazon or quest nutrition) and in most GNCs. Tip: Try microwaving for 20 seconds ... delicious.

One of Quest's main competitors is Krave ... another similar, low net carb protein bar. I've never tried them but I imagine they're similar to Quest.

http://www.coffeewithkate.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I forgot to suggest microwaving them for a completely different taste! Kate, have you ever tried cutting up a fudge brownie Quest bar, heating in a bowl and then adding vanilla protein ice cream with a little s/free choc syrup drizzled on top? You will thank me later! :D
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

A friend of mine makes her own protein bars. Not sure how healthy they are, but they taste good! :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That would be relatively simple.

You could buy a decent protein power with carbs, one with about 5-6 ingredients not the fancy unnecessary ones with proprietary blends and loads of ingredients; then you fill up a cake tin with loads of liquid protein powder and refrigerate it.

Then when it's set get it out of the tine and cut into even shapes with a knife, then you should get an even amount of nutrients per bar, as you should be working out what you actually put in in the first place, so you'll be okay once you start carving up your protein cake :tongue: :tongue:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

I make own.

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup peanut butter
1 tbsn honey
1.5 cups protein powder.

melt the honey and peanutbutter in the microwave till liqud a little over a minute for me.

add to the oatmeal and protein powder in a bowl put in a pan and refrigerate.

They taste really good.

the original recipe is a bit different and has chocolate in it but i don't do that.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... ipe=662771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

musculArgirl2 wrote:I make own.

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup peanut butter
1 tbsn honey
1.5 cups protein powder.

melt the honey and peanutbutter in the microwave till liqud a little over a minute for me.

add to the oatmeal and protein powder in a bowl put in a pan and refrigerate.

They taste really good.

the original recipe is a bit different and has chocolate in it but i don't do that.

Sounds easy enough for me to make! :wink:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... ipe=662771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BeauBody38
STARTING OUT

Post by BeauBody38 »

If you’re looking for a good gluten free protein bar I recommend the Quest Nutrition Bar. The chocolate brownie bars are the best tasting as they mask the protein flavours quite well. They have 20g of protein per 60g bars and a only 170 calories