Could Cardura enhance your weight lifting program?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

yashicaBC
STARTING OUT

Could Cardura enhance your weight lifting program?

Post by yashicaBC »

Cardura is an alpha blocker which helps lower your blood pressure. It is also used for BPH for men. Cardura works by relaxing your blood vessels, making them wider across your entire body. I just started taking it, 2mg before bed. I noticed that when I wake up in the morning and have morning cup of coffee, that I really feel the effects of caffeine, which I have never felt before. I am wondering if the relaxed blood vessels, more effectively lets the caffeine get into your brain, and elsewhere. If this is the case, I wonder if you need less amounts of supplements like creatine, to get a bigger effect on your body. Anyone else use Cardura for their blood pressure and had similar observations?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Could Cardura enhance your weight lifting program?

Post by Boss Man »

Caffeine constricts the blood vessels, so in terms of blood flow to the brain it just retards the movement of the blood somewhat, which would make it counterproductive in relation to things like alpha blockers.

It cam also block your iron intake increasing the risk of anemia, so you'd be wise to ditch coffee altogether.

As for creatine, that is used to increase power output in athletes, but it does exert effects on energy levels by affecting your bodies phosphate usage, so I'm not sure as to why you're linking it in some way to vasodilation.
BeauBody38
STARTING OUT

Post by BeauBody38 »

Caffeine mimics sympathetic response thereby increasing blood pressure while constricting blood vessels. It also causes relaxation of bronchial muscle, making you breath well. :funny:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

However constricted blood vessels caused by caffeine would slow down oxygen flow including to the lungs, so therefore not consuming it greatly would permit more oxygen delivery to the lungs thereby potentially helping with breathing.

Also as caffeine blocks iron intake, cutting it would mean having more red blood cells in your body increasing oxygenation potential of the lungs.

Win win then cutting caffeine :).