New Here

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

tomracka
STARTING OUT

New Here

Post by tomracka »

I am an 18-year old student who has never been that into sport. I have always liked golf and lighter sports but have recently decided to start running and some light home workouts as I am very weak (can barely do 3 sets of 10 press-ups). I want to be able to complete tough mudder this year. I would also like to bulk up before I do this as I am only 135lbs and 6foot. I don't really like going to the gym so I have found a workout that is good for me without any equipment. I also do about 3 mile runs every week now. I want to get more into it and want to build more muscle and endurance. question after you reading all of that is what should i be eating on a budget as I'm a student that is fairly easy to make and that I can actually do because I have looked up how to bulk up and its like 6 meals a day eating 4 eggs for breakfast I can't do things like this. Please help and thanks for reading all of this.

p.s. sorry if anything i said is redundant or not supposed to be in this type of forum this is first topic.
tomracka
STARTING OUT

Re: New Here

Post by tomracka »

This is the workout i try to do for now but i have introduced more breaks and squats as well
http://www.instructables.com/id/No-Equi ... /?ALLSTEPS
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Tom good to talk to you.

I wouldn't do the workout you suggested as it contains inaccuracies.

1. You never do side planks on the palm of your hand, you always rest on the forearm to prevent wrist injuries

2. I personally have never done push-ups pushing off from the stomach, I feel it's better to be in the elevated position, drop down until the arms are 90 degrees, then push up. I've always done it that way and never go down until your stomach is resting on the ground, as it just relaxes the muscles and wastes some of the momentum from every rep.

3. The workout in general is not addressing areas like the lower part of the erector spinae, (longissimus, semispinalis and intercostalis), the lower part of the multifidus and the quadratus lumborum very well, as pushups generally don't target those areas that much at all, so the lower back isn't getting much work, which could cause issues with the core if you strengthen the abs and make it disproportionate to the opposite side if the body.

Push ups tend to mainly work the lats, traps, the levator scapulae roughly where the shoulder blades, (scapulae), are, triceps, deltoids, splenis capitis in the neck area and part of the rotator cuff, probably the front part where the supraspinatus and subscapularis are, which is fine in itself, but then you're not getting much bicep work and the workout doesn't address the biceps that well either, as they work in a kind of secondary way.

4. Also someone saying they do planks resting on their stomach is not right, but then the person posting a picture of themselves in an elevated straight back position, which is what people should do, could confuse the reader anyway.

You could try this instead, as I've posted it before.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good Mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Vertical Flyes, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.
tomracka
STARTING OUT

Post by tomracka »

can i do all of those with no need for equipment tbh ill need to look them up and i am weak so might just cut the amount down and work up and do you have any information about how to eat to get to a normal weight as im underweight
tomracka
STARTING OUT

Post by tomracka »

average week of food is like cereal and milk for breakfast with tropical juice or nutella and wholegrain toast.
then average lunch is a cheese and ham toastie on wholegrain bread and an apple and/or a kiwi/banana.
then dinner varies but usually chicken/turkey/pork and chips or pasta i know its not the healthiest but i dont know what else to have on a student budget to get healthier and bulk up a bit
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes the workout system I gave you can be done without weight.

This food plan might work and it's something I have posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.