Need help with energy Expenditure in relation to caloric intake

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

static_jacket
STARTING OUT

Need help with energy Expenditure in relation to caloric intake

Post by static_jacket »

6' tall , 233 pounds. Probably between mesomorph and endomorph. Goal=Losing body fat and building lean muscle to strengthen myself for work/less prone to muscle injuries on the job.

I've been maintaining a good workout routine. I've been a little lost as far as what to expect for caloric intake. From calculators I've been plugging information into, they very by as much as 1200 calories. I also find it hard to know what activity level to put in, as it changes the projected metabolic rate quite a bit. I do heating and AC work doing repair and maintenance, so I do a lot of driving some days, but usually am going up and down steps quite a bit, so activity from day to day really varies quite a bit.

So now that you've got some background, lets get into it. Macros, I've been doing a 33/33/33. Here's where I'm double questioning myself 2300 calories on rest days, and eating back up to 2300 when taking into account using a cardio machine on half of rest days (I'm not sure how much I should trust the built in "calories burned" function in those things, thoughts?) Then on weight training days, I've been eating about 2900-3000.

I've been looking into fitness trackers to get a better idea of daily metabolic rate, but from what I've read they're really not very accurate in relation to that. I also don't know if you guys have resources for better metabolic rate calculators that are reliable and scientifically accurate?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Need help with energy Expenditure in relation to caloric intake

Post by Boss Man »

Most metabolic rate calculators if they're electronic, can only be a guide and to be honest I wouldn't too much about metabolic rate.

Taking in more calories on workout days is fine and if someone does then you'd be looking at around 15%-25% more as a rough estimate, so you're okay on that score and you're eating on non-workout days around 10% more than the sedentary average, so you're fine on that one as well.