Eating times

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

SteveHumphreys
STARTING OUT

Eating times

Post by SteveHumphreys »

Hi, can someone help me. I have been exercising regularly for about 15 years but I really struggle with the best times to eat.
I have 3 kids now & a wife that works shifts but below is a rough timetable of weekly exercise & when I eat meals. I do an office job 7.30-4.45pm

Monday - Friday 6.45am cereal, 10.30-12pm 2 apples & 2 bananas, 1.30pm sandwich on wholemeal, 5.15pm tea
Monday circuit training 7-8pm
Tuesday run at lunchtime 3 miles
Wednesday 5 a side football 6-7pm (so have tea about 8pm)
Thursday 5 a side football 8-9pm
Friday Circuit training 7.15-8.15pm
Saturday run as soon as I get up
Sunday rest

Though the above are subject to change so may only get to do 4-5 of these events each week.
Should I eat after exercise or stick to current schedule
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Eating times

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Steve, good to talk to you.

Yes you should eat after workouts and preferably within the hour to really give your body some quality fuel to help it recover.

Get a decent ratio of protein to fat and I'd recommend at least 200 calories, but more would be preferable.

As for the current diet it's a bit light, I'd suggest increasing the protein content in your breakfast from things like ham, pork, turkey, chicken, beef or eggs.

I would also say the same about the following meal as the 4 pieces of fruit may provide goodly calories, but are very sparse on protein and protein helps you feelings of satiety as as well as helping muscles recover and providing amino acids that help with a wide range of physical functions.

I'd also eat something mid-afternoon. You could use the protein options suggested and then I'd tag one of the apples or bananas from the mid-morning meal into the mix.

However you have other snack options available.

Here are some options you can use, like oat granola's, ham, turkey, beef, pork and chicken from a packet, low fat cheese, nuts, peanuts, fruits including tomatoes and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, pre-boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken breast and low fat yoghurt, nuts and peanuts, bread, sandwiches.

Some of these are full snacks, some are partial snacks. You'll probably work out which are which :tongue:.
SteveHumphreys
STARTING OUT

Post by SteveHumphreys »

Many thanks, I always find the moment I walk through the door when I get home (5.10pm) that I am hungry, the wife almost always has tea ready, would you suggest I eat a snack at this time & have tea after workout (which would be around 8.30pm)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That could be something to experiment with for a week or two yes and see how it goes.

It has to be your choice though, as it might disaffect in some way or cause a bit of a problem with what she prefers to do.
clairelv
STARTING OUT

Post by clairelv »

eat time is really important even more important than what do you eat !
i think i need learn more about this
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No what you eat is more important.

Eating 3 meals of healthy food over a 14 hour period is better than eating 6 meals day of poor food, even if you're getting 2,000 calories of junk versus 1,200 of healthy.

The balance to be struck there is eating healthy food in the right frequency.