protein shake query

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

trainhardeveryday
STARTING OUT

protein shake query

Post by trainhardeveryday »

So I am a twenty year old female who trains six days per week, mainly focusing on strength training. I have a question regarding protein shake consumption.
So I am aware that the ideal time to take a shake is post workout. However it's a personal preference of mine to eat wholesome natural food post workout like chicken or salmon. So I usually consume shakes around 5 hours after workout (three to four hours after post workout meal). So I was just wondering, is still still effective or is it detrimental in a way? I'm aware it's not AS beneficial as taking it immediately post workout, but does it still have benefits when taking it when I do?
By the way, I take diet whey protein
Thanks in advance :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: protein shake query

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Thed.

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. Just make sure the powder you use is not one of those fancy expensive types with proprietary blends as they are not necessary and a bit of a waste of money.
trainhardeveryday
STARTING OUT

I use phd diet whey , is that ok? :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

There's no problem with that.
trainhardeveryday
STARTING OUT

Thanks so much for your help :)
meeshbenson
STARTING OUT

Post by meeshbenson »

i heard that whey protein is best used before 45 minutes after your workout because your body can easily absorb whey and that 45 minutes time spam is the best time for your body to intake protein to repair its muscles
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, there is a "window of opportunity" as it's sometimes known, that last for around 45-60 minutes after you train.
Swoley1
STARTING OUT

Post by Swoley1 »

The "Anabolic Window" is something that's often debated, but it seems the consensus is that your total daily intake of protein is what matters most, so what you're doing should be fine!
lockheart.1989
STARTING OUT

Post by lockheart.1989 »

meeshbenson wrote:i heard that whey protein is best used before 45 minutes after your workout because your body can easily absorb whey and that 45 minutes time spam is the best time for your body to intake protein to repair its muscles
former nutriotionist recommended me to have a more diluded protein shake before/during training (like a water bottle with a couple of spoons) and a dense mix right after training (like a thick proteins shot). Have any of you guys been doing that too?

xx
Tifa
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I never did that in the past when I was using such products. What was the reason given to you for you doing that?
lockheart.1989
STARTING OUT

Post by lockheart.1989 »

Boss Man wrote:I never did that in the past when I was using such products. What was the reason given to you for you doing that?
They told me it was about feeding proteins to the muscles whilst they were training and then giving them an extra push at the end so you don't lose muscular mass, but actually gain.

There are so many theories about timings, intakes, etc that it's quite confusing sometimes! I guess the key is trying out and finfing what works best for you based on them :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Interesting theory. Personally though if you've eaten a good meal within 2 hours of the workout, that should not be an issue and you could just consume a protein powder after workouts.

The gym you used didn't sell anything like that did they, as this might have been a ploy to get you using more and buying it more often.

main concern with protein shakes before workouts, is that protein help muscles to grow and / or repair, which isn't going to happen when the workouts are causing micro tears in the muscle, from body weight and / or weighted exercises, but that does not mean the person who told you what they told you was not all they seemed, as they may have been right on the ball, but if that gym you use or did use sells / sold anything like protein powders, then the information imparted on you may have been for their benefit more so than yours, financially speaking in their case whether the information was legit or not.
maxnout
STARTING OUT

Post by maxnout »

You can take protein any time you want. Eating a protein meal post workout is actually preferable over a shake. You don't need to take a shake with the meal if your already getting it. I would just make sure you get your requirements each day. If you can't get that from food then use a shake to cover the difference.