Should You Drink Water After Overeating and Working Out?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Should You Drink Water After Overeating and Working Out?

Post by TechnicGeek »

Sometimes I tend to overeat and feel guilty about it. When I feel I have have consumed more food than normally do I tend to start feeling guilty about it. To ease the feeling of guiltiness I soon start working out. I try putting in some intensity because I feel it helps metabolism and makes workout more effective in terms of staying in shape. The more I eat, the harder I work out, the more accomplished I feel in eliminating that guilty feeling. Is this the right thinking? It helps me stay in balance and I feel it also helps to stay consistent in maintaining fitness.

I am also wondering if after I overeate and worked out after that, drinking water won't negatively affect metabolism and make it harder for body to digest effectively? I heard that the less you put into stomach, the less energy it will use for digestion, preventing drowsiness. In other words, don't mix too much stuff when eating and try to adhere to fewer varieties of food each time you eat. I think adding liquid like water will cause body to use more energy because whenever I drink after eating, I feel full and drowsy, unable to focus and think clearly which are required for office work with a job where analytical and creative thinking are must.

Thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Should You Drink Water After Overeating and Working Out?

Post by Boss Man »

It's tricky one, as water may cause the molecular structure of the food contents to become less solid, potentially allowing for better digestion, but it would increase alkalinity of the contents thereby having an opposing effect where the stomach's PH is temporarily less acidic, although the human body can regulate blood and stomach PH; I can't remember the exact number but I thinks it's around 7.4.

working put does increase calorie burning and will permit this increased calorie burning post-workout until you eat again and then the body will switch it's attention more towards digestion of the food, usually within 20 minutes of food being consumed.

The body will use more energy for digestion the more you eat for sure, but then one key thing is not how much of any one thing you have, but calorie management and how many calories you eat at any one time.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:It's a tricky one, as water may cause the molecular structure of the food contents to become less solid, potentially allowing for better digestion, but it would increase alkalinity of the contents thereby having an opposing effect where the stomach's PH is temporarily less acidic, although the human body can regulate blood and stomach PH; I can't remember the exact number but I thinks it's around 7.4.
I heard recently that apple cider vinegar mixed with honey helps digestion by raising acidity. It is recommended to consume 30 minutes before meal and can be 3 times per day. Maybe this will ease digestion and reduce drowsiness and lethargy after meal that I have?
Boss Man wrote:working put does increase calorie burning and will permit this increased calorie burning post-workout until you eat again and then the body will switch it's attention more towards digestion of the food, usually within 20 minutes of food being consumed.

The body will use more energy for digestion the more you eat for sure, but then one key thing is not how much of any one thing you have, but calorie management and how many calories you eat at any one time.
This is tricky one when one has binge eating. I often have this when I feel depressed. It's like I lose awareness of things I planned for the day and perspective narrows down to short-term gains to better mood (could be low serotonin and dopamine levels) where food does he job. I am not sure if what I describe is binge eating but I try to prolong the pleasurable experience food gives me.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Apple and pear Cider vinegar are sometimes seen as hype products that do less than is claimed and many find the taste is not very nice.

You may want to try such things, but I cannot tell you will find any benefit from them, as I cannot be in any way certain you will in relation to what you describe.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

You mean there is no apple cider vinegar but apple vinegar with peak cider? I located apple vinegar only where I live but I could not find one with cider in it.

Eric Berg has a video on YouTube titled "The REAL Reason Apple Cider Vinegar Works for Losing Weight - MUST WATCH!"

He suggest 3 times per day mixed with honey and I think at the end he suggests adding cranberry juice too.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No I mean there are two different types of those products.

Apple cider vinegar.

Pear cider vinegar.
WilliamYoung
STARTING OUT

Post by WilliamYoung »

There was all that hype about the benefits of cider vinegar awhile ago, but it turned out to be a fad. I don't know what the "current" thing is to drink, but good luck anyway.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

WilliamYoung wrote:There was all that hype about the benefits of cider vinegar awhile ago, but it turned out to be a fad. I don't know what the "current" thing is to drink, but good luck anyway.
Fad? People still report good results in YouTube comments. I don't think it's a fad.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It could be a faddy thing though, as in order for something like that to be proven to work, it has to be taken in isolation as making other lifestyle changes that are designed to facilitate the persons end goals, would invalidate what the ACV was doing as any improvement in the persons well-being could be put down to the one or more other things instigated and not the ACV.
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

Water is needed for digestion but drinking a lot of water while eating could potentially dilute stomach juices. Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice are meant to assist with the breakdown of food (mimicking stomach acid to some extent). Maybe reduce your water intake around meal times and see how you feel? Often I find if I drink a tonne of water with meals I get bloated.