How to Properly Read Ingredients on a Product Label?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

How to Properly Read Ingredients on a Product Label?

Post by TechnicGeek »

Hello,

I have never paid attention to a list of ingredients listed on products label but the more I read about chemical ingredients make us crave sugar and do other harm, I became concerned once I read this post.

I am from Israel and have not actually found ingredients like MSG, aspartame mentioned on some of foods sold here. Could it be these ingredients have their code names. Those that start with "E" so you must actually reference to find the answer? I have posted photo below and it's a label taken from puding chocolate flavored powder package. You add entire pack 85g of powder and 600ml of milk to prepare pudding. I usually prepare and put it in a plastic container and eat a little every day from it. I am wondering if there is something I should be concerned on that list. Thanks.

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How to Properly Read Ingredients on a Product Label?

Post by Boss Man »

E-numbers often tend to be things like colours, flavourings and preservatives, but they are not all bad.

I don't know of any specific websites that tell you about them, but there probably are some if you google it.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

I have noticed that power pudding although not as tasty as one sold in stores, it is less dense and less sugary. I guess I should consider making powder pudding at home then, despite it's main purpose is for baking cakes. It lasts longer and costs as 2 puddings sold in store.
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

Hey there :)
You may find this helpful https://blog.dukesgym.com.au/blog/how-t ... od-labels/
As for E numbers they are used to categorise food additives- i.e. things that are added for a specific function, such as preservation, or to enhance the colour or flavour... These can vary a bit between countries which makes it even more confusing. https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00312 This lists the permitted food additives in Australia. I would suggest googling any ingredients you are unsure about :)