Are Overripe Bananas and Persimmons Not Recommended for Health?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Are Overripe Bananas and Persimmons Not Recommended for Health?

Post by TechnicGeek »

Hello,

Noticed something about banana and persimmon when it comes to their overripe condition. You can tell when banana is overripe by how soft it gets and it's yellow darkened color and especially it's very sugary taste and feeling of satiation it leaves you with compared to ripe banana. I can eat 2 ripe bananas in one sitting but it only takes 1 overripe banana to make me feel sick. I remember at one time I was buying those because they were sold at a discount. I probably should have not done that as well as for persimmon. When persimmon is overripe, it is very soft and juicy. When cut in half you can tell there are black spots inside and it's very sugary when tasting.

So concern is about how these 2 fruits in their overripe condition affect health. I can just assume that they are contraindicative to those who have diabetes due to sugar spike they cause. But for normal person can they increase risk of diabetes and can they cause a headache? I heard from someone that sugar has withdrawal symptom when you decrease its dosage as well as quit consuming it. Do these overripe fruits have something else that is unwanted on body? I don't consume much bananas but I do 1-2 persimonns 15 minutes before going to sleep in both ripe and sometimes overripe condition. Is it generally bad to consume sugar before sleep?

Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Are Overripe Bananas and Persimmons Not Recommended for Health?

Post by Boss Man »

I don't think Sugar is bad to consume before sleep unless you had too much. As you say diabetics would need to control it, but it would in small doses partially mediate blood sugar levels when you sleep.

If the overripe bananas and persimmons have a sickly effect on you when consumed then I would suggest you stay away from them. I cannot tell you that this is common for all consumers, but it is definitely an effect you are experiencing, so avoidance would seem to be a prudent step.

You shouldn't get an increased risk of diabetes unless you caused high blood sugar spikes on a regular basis as I believe that can change the nature of an individuals blood, but you may want to do some research of your own on that.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Hi. I heard that exercising or I guess working out facilitates secretion of insuling. I wonder if it would be good idea to exercise if I consumed too much sugar. Will it help mediation of sugar so liver won't get taxed too much? I heard that there is certain amount of sugar dosage that body can handle at a given moment. If it's too much and liver can't handle more, it gets into fat cells, fattening the person.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Working out can have effects on insulin, because it can decrease it.