Carb to Fat Storage Threshold - How Much Sugar is Too Much?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Carb to Fat Storage Threshold - How Much Sugar is Too Much?

Post by TechnicGeek »

Hello,

Some of advice I hear given on YouTube as an example in videos about calisthenics is that if you want to have a lean and muscular body, you must eliminate carbs from your diet. I learned recently that carbs come on 3 forms i.e. starch, sugar and fiber. I believe that sugar is the worst form because it is one that is absorbed the fastest into bloodstream.

I am particularly concerned about sugar since I don't consume starch and bread but after restricting myself almost fully from sugar I got back to it since I seem to find more happiness from it in life. I recalled a video about how sugar gets stored as fat once the amount consumed at a given time exceeds certain amount in grams. Here is the link set exactly at the moment where author explains it: https://youtu.be/KHaCKudtVi0?t=5m7s

I heard that as far as everything is consumed in moderation, one should not worry about negatives. I seem to consume sugar (chocolate, ice cream) in moderation but I think I lost some gains that I had. body was more toned, face was skinnier and weight was 5Kg less. I am wondering whether I consume more at a given time than body can handle like video explains and I should reduce the amount and spread out times when I consume sugar. If according to video human body can handle 270g of sugar at a given time (200g glycogen and 70g liver) how can I know how much I am having at a given moment is too much? Maybe I can still stay lean and muscular without eliminating sugar from diet?

Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Carb to Fat Storage Threshold - How Much Sugar is Too Much?

Post by Boss Man »

Processed sugar could be eliminated, but things like fructose in fruit and indeed glucose are both sugars and without glucose you would have no muscle glycogen to help you exercise.

Most sugars convert into glucose and others, I believe, into fructose as well, though I cannot specify about which ones do which as I am not 100% certain.

However complete abstinence from sugars including fructose and glucose is not necessary to be energised and lean, but certainly refined sugars could be eliminated with time and a bit of self education.