Fit Guy but Can't Drop Body Fat Further

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

joefig44
STARTING OUT

Fit Guy but Can't Drop Body Fat Further

Post by joefig44 »

I'm a 5'7", 46 year old with an average build (meso/endomorph), and since Sept 2016 have dropped from 183lbs to what I consider to be ideal weight of 156lbs (I actually fluctuate between 154-158). body fat has dropped (as measured using Withings Cardio scale) durign this time as well from about 23% to about 15.5-16.5%.
I accomplished this by doing OrangeTheoryFitness workouts 3-4 times/week, going as hard as I could each time, and by tracking calories and macros in myfitnesspal app. I consider myself now to be very fit (heart-healthy), as I can usually surpass most others at the gym in performance and heart rate recovers exceptionally quickly.
I also play some sports recreationaly, for fun, like swimming and tennis.

For most of this time I ate nothing but raw foods, making up about 1700-1800 calories/day, and recently in last 2 weeks since hitting goal weight have increased calories to about 2000-2200/day, which is considered by the app to be 0.5lbs/week weight loss but I think it's more a maintenance calorie intake.
Macro-wise, I strive for 30% protein; 40% carbs; 30% fat, but am usually just shy each day on the protein and often a little over on the fat. Carbs are usually a bit lower than that.

I have tons of energy and feel great. I'm thrilled with progress except in one key area: body fat % loss.

I've definitely lost a lot of body fat, and muscles are well defined compared to before, but I'd like to drop further from 16% body fat to below 10% and I'm just not sure how to accomplish this. I don't really want to drop overall weight any further, as I've never weighted below 155lbs since I was a teen, but it would be great to get more cut, especially since I feel like I'm really quite fit compared to most people age, just don't look totally ripped.

Any advice on how to break this plateau on body fat%?

Here are some pics.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ri0ud46v0bzs ... dR53a?dl=0
Last edited by joefig44 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Fit Guy but Can't Drop Body Fat Further

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Joefig, good to speak to you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
joefig44
STARTING OUT

Post by joefig44 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Joefig, good to speak to you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
All of these foods I eat I log into myfitnesspal app so that I never go over limit of calories/macros as detailed in first post, except for Fridays (see last note below)

Wake up at 6:45am

Breakfast (7:45am) - I eat this exactly every day without fail:
Shake with Vega One scoop, 1 tbsp black chia seeds, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1 slice of multigrain bread (Whole Foods seduction bread), 1.5 tbsp of almond butter

Lunch (12:15pm):
3 times a week it is as follows exactly:
Large salad consisting of 2 cups spinach, 1.5 tbsp balsamic dressing, 3/4 cup chickpeas, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup hummus, 1/4 cup either flaked tuna or 1/4 cup boiled eggs

other 4 days of week it can vary as follows:
8 piece sushi
or
egg white omelette with mushrooms, 1.5oz jarlsberg cheese, butterball turkey bacon, 1 slice of multigrain bread, 1 tbsp light margarine, coffee (black)
or
once a week or so something different like a hamburger or piece of chicken with rice

Afternoon Snack (2pm):
Green tea with 1/2 tbsp honey

Dinner (6:00pm):
fish (parmesean encrusted tilapia or pistachio-encrusted cod or seasoned salmon) with quinoa and sweet potato and a side salad (about twice/week)
or
whatever family is eating, but never fried foods and try to avoid sauces/creams, so steak or chicken normally with brown rice/potato and a salad/vege side

Evening Snack (9:30pm):
Depending on where calories/macros are at for the day, either:
1/3-1/2 cup trail mix (Whole Foods anti-oxidant mix)
OR
one packet Nature's Path maple nut oatmeal with 1/2 tbsp honey

Bedtime at 10:45pm

If I workout (Orangetheoryfitness workout), I add a post-workout meal of:
Vega Sport scoop with small banana (without fail, every time)

Now, usually once a week (sometimes once every two weeks) on Friday nights I go out and drink probably 5-10 beers/mixed drinks and have potato chips, but only this one day/week every two weeks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Firstly I'd ditch the beers even if it is for just one day.

Secondly I'd reduce your carbs by 10% per meal and increase fats or protein by the same amount of calories to balance it out.

You'd lose reduce primary energy, hopefully allowing your body to recruit more secondary energy; that being fat.

I would try these two simple things and see how you get on for the next 6-8 weeks, as making too much wholesale change may compromise your goals, thereby causing a bit of confusion regarding which things may or may not have worked.