How do I lose more /do I need to?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

chilli123
STARTING OUT

How do I lose more /do I need to?

Post by chilli123 »

F, 21Y/O, 58KG, 168cm tall, 15 percent . I've been told is already quite low but it really doesn't look like it. I have a strong build, go jogging and do muscle work, however its annoying that I can't really see that. I look average. How much more would I need to lose to see more muscle definition? Would I need to go down to 10 percent? How would I go about doing that? Is this more of a diet issue (I eat quite healthy though) or training issue?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How do I lose more /do I need to?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Chilli, good to speak to you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
rob096
STARTING OUT

Post by rob096 »

understanding is it's what you eat vs what you burn. If i were you and wanted to lose weight then i would continue to lift weights because who doesn't want to be strong? I would increase the amount of running while trying to maintain the same diet?

https://www.myfitnesshealthonline.com/has some relevant information on losing weight as does the nhs website https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-we ... se-weight/.

How about trying eating smaller portions more frequently? This will reduce the amount of fat store you have as the body doesn't know when it will be getting it's next meal so will start using up the fat store for energy.

Rob
MikkelDK94
STARTING OUT

Post by MikkelDK94 »

I have just joined here for maybe learning something I don't know.

But I will like to also give you help for long-term effect.
Of course this is pretty much the total basic package of WL -
*Go into a calorie-deficit ( let's say you need 2200 calories every day for maintaining weight, and if you go over that, you gain weight , if you go under that, you will lose weight - here I would suggest for whatever your calorie level is, I would say you should keep it maybe 200 - 300 from what you need)
*Learn to count the calories -> you know the labels on the sides of food package that say how much there is per 100 gram.
*Learn to eat low-calorie foods and to eat so that you become full from that - fruits, lots of vegetables (wraps, because you can stack loads of veggies in it)
*keep the dressing and HIGH calories of table for some time, of course you can have a treat ones in a while, but isn't it better to get the result first and therefore give you the treat after

*Do more cardio and of course support with strength training
-Cardio burns of more calories than strength t. BUT strength t. improves your metabolism, (the socalled afterburn effect) - but remember if you eat more than you burn of - then you will gain weight.
-Of course make sure for abs to come, you need low , YES , but you also need to strengthen your ab-muscles exercises as well.

Hope this help you Good Evening
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Eating more than you burn off though isn't always a bad thing, because as you say added muscle can help to burn fat at around 45-50 extra calories for around every 1lb of added muscle; therefore the person would still need the right calories to gain the muscle and if the person was eating around 2,200 calories to maintain weight, then allowing for weight lifting and a bit of cardio, some excess calories could actually get burned and some used to build muscle.

It depends really on how many calories the person eats in relation to how many they burn and need for building muscle, but if the person needed 3,000+ to main a negative body composition, then definitely cutting back the calories in relation to any cardio and weight lifting would be a very sensible ingredient in the weight loss mix.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I remember the hoo-ha about apple cider vinegar and pear cider vinegar over 10 years ago and frankly some said the taste wasn't great and many of the purported benefits of the products, were to observations exaggerated or probably hooey.

I can understand a non-multivitamin product having potential validity when it supposedly does 3 or 4 things that are good for your health, but when the benefit list is as long as your arm I would be calling bull*** on that, because no product barring a multivitiamin is so good it can have 15-20 benefits.